Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Micro in a Week (MOD Sidings)

Evening all. I was thinking a few weeks ago that like many of us I've been hitting a modelling wall with many of my recent projects because of indecision about what I'd like to build; overthinking; dreaming up plans I don't possibly have time or space to build, etc etc. So I set myself a challenge to use my time off at Christmas to attempt a layout in a week. The parameters were:

-- Max size 3'x1'

-- Using as many odds and ends as possible and trying some new techniques

-- A rough idea of when and where but no getting bogged down in 'that-wouldn't-be-like-that-in-real-life'

-- Pragmatism: using scratch built buildings where I had them in store, but also being willing to use rtp products if necessary

-- Accepting that it wouldn't be perfection but that this is ok!

So, I decided I'd build a small layout based on the MOD sidings which littered the Wiltshire / Hampshire borders on the Southern. Appropriate motive power is my B4, Q1, and quite possibly the Heljan 'Army' 07 when it's released.

I started last Thursday. Now, what happened?

IMG_8240.jpeg.ad892e4dfeaa800ee11c95d3443ad13d.jpeg

Day 1 (Thurs): Track is down and tested; platform constructed; nissen huts trial posed (scratch built for a previous abandoned project).

IMG_8246.jpeg.0c2a625fcc0026f9996490d569135092.jpeg

Day 2 (Fri): Concrete hard standing from 2mm grey board fitted and scribed to represent 20' concrete panels; hillside built up from layers of foam board and plaster cloth roll.

IMG_8249.jpeg.2a88ec734754ad9d635f0ae9eaf00956.jpeg

Day 3 (Sat): track work and ground cover using filler, woodland scenics gravel, and a speed-ballasting method which would make better modellers scream.

IMG_8264.jpeg.c6a996dd8a39d61e2220e3fe75629f54.jpeg

Day 4 (Sun): The beginnings of some greenery

IMG_8279.jpeg.bb3d2f93377751f7e3250dc62665fedf.jpeg

Day 5 (Mon): More greenery; ground cover; and painting the track / ground

Day 6 (Tues): unscheduled illness break

IMG_8296.jpeg.be1701afcc8692886278bab171f18163.jpeg

Day 7: Detailing and odds and ends.

So although there are some bits left to add (a few signs, and a set of steps to the platform), I'd say that this time last week this layout didn't exist, and now it does. I'll call that a win.

The modelling may not be incredible but this has been an incredibly enjoyable and liberating experience. Doing this solves all the classic 'problems' and certainly got rid of all of mine which I outlined at the top. I've built something achievable which now exists rather than annoying me as another pipe dream; it was quick; it's a convenient size; I've realised that sometimes 'good enough' is more enjoyable than 'perfect'. Best of all, with the reduced time and cost investment (a layout like this only needs one or two engines and a few bits of stock), my indecision problem is solved because I could build one of these as often as I like all on completely different themes. I'm already thinking up a tiny 1950s ex-SECR terminus, a Cambrian project; an 80s banger blue parcels project; and a 90s oil sidings / engineers yard idea with Dutch 33s and grimy grey things. Now realistically I won't build all of them, but I could build any I choose.

It's been a thoroughly festive school holiday-style project and I'd encourage anyone feeling any of the feelings I described to have a go! Merry Christmas.

Adam

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 5

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Calidore said:

I've built something achievable which now exists rather than annoying me as another pipe dream; it was quick; it's a convenient size; I've realised that sometimes 'good enough' is more enjoyable than 'perfect'. Best of all, with the reduced time and cost investment (a layout like this only needs one or two engines and a few bits of stock), my indecision problem is solved because I could build one of these as often as I like all on completely different themes.

Well put. It's a shame that layout design books tend to ignore micros - and especially how good they are at keeping the motivation going.  I suppose there's a perception that micros look crammed and unrealistic, but as your layout demonstrates that's just a matter of how you design them. 

Edited by Mikkel
Typos
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A lovely layout and pleased I'm glad I'm not the only one with ideas in their head they need to get down on a baseboard.  I liked your holiday comment - the build up is the best part of Christmas and I always set myself a target (but not a layout in a week!).

• Thanks 1

Thanks all for the kind comments. To answer the question above, yes there's a short fiddle stick with a single track on one side and space to store an engine and a couple of wagons on the other.

IMG_8316.jpeg.de227e18f01987073843da269c700843.jpeg

30093 shunts some stores vans.

IMG_8331.jpeg.dcb5e802ba00998345aa000bd6f76246.jpeg

33009 continues shuffling them about. The Q1 runs so well; it's ideal for this layout (though for that matter the B4 is excellent too).

I'll do a backscene eventually!

• Like 10