Weathering/ageing white paint

I have a largely white painted, plastic loco ( a SOO line SD60 by Athearn) that I want to age to get a creamy effect so that when I "patch" it with another logo I get a good contrast with new white paint. Part of the attraction is that I dont have to repaint the original livery to turn it into a different railroad. I might sound daft but could I get the right effect by sticking it in the sun for a few weeks? Or alternatively does anyone have good ideas for a simple wash? Thanks

Phil

Try a thin wash of Tamiya Flat Earth. The advantage of the Tamiya paints is that you can make a very thin wash with them, almost tinted thinners in effect, and build the effect up in layers. This should turn the white a little creamy, rather than dirty, as long as you don't put it on too heavily.

HTH

It should brush OK, the beauty of the Tamiya paints is the alcohol based thinners, which allow washes to spread nicely without pooling. Make sure you use the Tamiya thinners and that you don't flood too much on at once, as you run the risk of disturbing the manufacturers printing - build it up in layers gradually.

HTH

I would use humbrol matt enamel washes and remove most of it with a cotton bud dipped in white spirit and use vertical stokes when removing, this will the right effect of streaks.

I'm not sure that'll make the paint appear discoloured though - it'll make it appear dirty instead.

Some of the techniques here might help.

I would suggest trying a wash of ink. If you dilute a little sepia acrylic ink with a mix of water and flow enhancer you will get a very interesting effect you will find that the flat expanses pick up only a small amount of tint and the panels and other details will get a darker more concentrated tint as the ink "settles" into those areas. In wargaming circles this is called the "Magic Dip" look this up it's an interesting and very useful technique.

Archived