Hornby Grange Sound, smoke, lights. Stay Alive

Andrew A

Hello Folks,

Looking for thoughts, or info / ideas from anyone who has attempted sound fitting a Hornby Grange.  after measuring, I have decided on the following kit from YouChoos,

Zimo MX 645R (  may hardwire ),  2 x scurve 8 speakers , lifelink +YC Supercap 17000,Seuth No27 Smoke unit, Smd firebox led, plus 2 x headlamps...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I’ve successfully used a Zimo decoder with Youchoos sounds in my Grange loco. I also used a large speaker which meant carving the inside of the tender about quite a bit. It comes with stay alive these days.

Ive not tried adding a smoke unit.

Good luck.

PS the sound file is for the Hall class loco.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

I wouldn’t bother with the super cap stuff unless you want it to run for half an hour off the track, the smallest LAIS stay alive is cheap and works brilliantly, it’s the only stay alive I use now.

Depending which you mean, but the £15 Lais stay-alive has vastly more energy store than 17,000uF (which won't give half an hour).   

I'd fit the Lais unit in preference to the Life-Link+17,000uF Brick.  Its probably smaller, and packs more energy.    Life-link route now only when its a shape constraint meaning that fits, but other options don't

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Nigelcliffe said:

Depending which you mean, but the £15 Lais stay-alive has vastly more energy store than 17,000uF (which won't give half an hour).   

I'd fit the Lais unit in preference to the Life-Link+17,000uF Brick.  Its probably smaller, and packs more energy.    Life-link route now only when its a shape constraint meaning that fits, but other options don't

Exactly, the half and hour was tongue in cheek……oddly ;)

The smallest LAIS is the little square type, excellent storage in a tiny package and control included.

I find the small LAIS lasts about 5 seconds on a sound Loco, which TBH is plenty enough for the crappiest track cleaner.

• Like 1