Accessing 12vdc on a DCC setup

dbrb2

Tested with a bench supply - still working with input at either polarity, 12v

However, the output measured from the rectifier, measured across a cap, is only showing as 4mV when connected to DCC

To rule out wheel pickup issues, I have wired the DCC cables directly into the rectifier input, with no change in behaviour 

Ok. It's working...

I think it was dodgy wiring. So my next job is to check absolutely everything :-) 

It does however seem to much up the DCC signal for all my other devices when running! 

Edited by dbrb2

2 hours ago, dbrb2 said:

It does however seem to much up the DCC signal for all my other devices when running! 

When wired directly to the tracks or via pickups?

Fast diodes such as UF4001 or schottky diodes (inherently fast)  might help, but shouldn't make a lot of difference for a single instance. (The problem is a normal diode looks like a short circuit for a very short time each time the polarity reverses. A fast diode recovers much faster).

Try reducing the cap value or placing a small resistor (start at, say, 100 ohm) between the diode bridge and the cap to reduce the charging current.

Thanks @crossland - the interference was when on a short length of track with other trains. 

Yes, I can see that the recovery time of "normal" diodes might mess with the comms - I will try to remake the circuit with these diodes: 

https://docs.rs-online.com/a661/0900766b809285fd.pdf

Which claim to have an ~50nS recovery time. The 2W10 I was using didn't have a published recovery time - but I suspect it was higher than this. Presumably the charging current should only affect the DCC signal if the cap is almost empty - and a high ciurrent causes the supply voltage to drop, confusing the DCC decoders? Either way, worth doing 

Weekend job i think!