C&HPR water tenders

Can anybody point me to scale drawings, kits, or other sources to be able to model the old loco tenders used as water tanks, as used on the Cromford & High Peak Railway? I don’t need 100% accuracy, but suitable small loco tenders seems to be thin on the ground. I have kept an eye on eBay for spare loco tenders with the idea of using them as a base for a model, but either they are simply too large or modern, or the seller has priced them as if cast in solid silver!

Having looked at the Shapeways website, there are a few options but four wheel tenders seem to be too early in design, and larger tenders either too large or too modern.

If this has been discussed before, my attempts with the search engine have been disappointing.

Steve S

London road models for etched 1800 gallon Webb & McConnell (long & short wheelbase) tender kits in 4mm…you’ll need to modify a McConnell kit to create the shorter 2 axle version. Creators of ‘Sheep Pasture’ model railway for scale drawings…PM or post your email address and I’ll give you the contact details. Gibson or Ultrascale for wheelsets but ISTR a compromise with one extra spoke on one of the styles.

There were various mods to the originals so make sure you have a close up pic from each side in your desired era.

Moderate to advanced modelling/soldering skills required to complete them.

The picture shows the basic McConnell 3 axle tender…this kit needs modifying to the dimensions on the scale drawings to produce a C&HP water tender.

247 developments do the Webb pattern buffers. Wizard models for etched rivet strips. I ordered both long and short wheelbase McConnell tenders to compare with the dimensioned drawings/see which was most convincing.

The profile of the 3 axle McConnell with centre axle removed can be seen on the laptop screen.

BeRTIe

C932A32C-8318-4A35-A447-42AD6505EFC1.jpeg

A2B5ADA8-1003-4282-85B8-2DDBEB32C843.jpeg

D2692E49-6CE3-415D-B4DF-D8BC82E1F179.jpeg

Edited by BR traction instructor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

There were drawings in some old HMRS society magazines in the 1970's I believe.  I have a copy somewhere if I can find them. If nothing else turns up you can PM me and I will try to provide a copy. 

Mike. 

• Thanks 1

I’ve bought a couple of Dapol square tar wagons off eBay … for some reason I thought they reminded me of the water tenders! 

Thank you to both Bertie (?)@BR traction instructor and @airnimal for responding to my request for information about them.

The photo of the (beautiful) brass tender confirms the general shape - another search of shapeways.com and a couple of examples that may do have suggested themselves. The laptop image also provides plenty of information (I can zoom in on my 27” iMac screen, thanks!!)

However, for the moment I shall make do with the tar tankers and make believe they are water tanks!

Steve S

• RMweb Premium

I have found the drawing which was part of the same article as the drawing posted by BR traction instructor. This is the smaller 4 wheeler LNWR tender frame without the tender top flared part. 

I cut out a set of frames many years ago to make a S7 model of one which never progressed much further.

20220107_104032.jpg

20220107_103719.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I am afraid they are 7mm scale. I have been working in 7mm scale now for 40 years, first in finescale and for the last 30 years Scaleseven. I admire all the people whom work in the smaller scales but I could never get anything to work in 4mm.