Inspiration/Help wanted with Hawkesbury loco engine shed area

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I generally model alone (through circumstances and choice) and I do think I have some good ideas in my head certainly ones that satisfy me (see photos of Hawkesbury in my main topic) BUT I am struggling with the Engine Shed/Goods space here mainly because I've never seen one and don't have enough experience to model elements into my space.

I rely heavily on the internet and this forum for help but seem to be lacking in vision for this part of the layout - are there any obvious omissions in terms of buildings and structures ie Water Towers Coaling stations Cranes etc etc etc...............please do quote your favourite kits.

My recent modelling activity has convinced me that I do like density of buildings and structures but this space is proving a challenge.

All and any ideas welcome, clearly the track layout, turntable and the boundary wall of brick arches are all pretty much a given but with siding lengths possibly being up for discussion - I really want this section to play "catch up" with other layout areas over the next 3 months so I need a vision.

The 2 photos below show where its at today................

My thoughts so far are to move the engine shed closer to the turntable and therefore reduce the lengths of the tracks in front of it and to model a complimentary low relief "scene" behind it to avoid the abrupt stop to the wall/arches  and fill the open "green fields" area between the arches and the baseboard edge. Three storey low relief industrial buildings or a grimy street scene perhaps...................this will have the effect of reducing the area of the loco shed scene to be modelled which I think for me will help.

IMG_1499 2.JPG

IMG_1500 2.JPG

Edited by halsey

Hi Julian,

Glad to see how your layout is developing!

Two thoughts on your locoshed area:-

1) What do you want from the shed area?- For instance, do you want to start a running session with all your locos on shed, and then have them leave one at a time to take up their duties, returning to shed at the end of the session?

2) There are a lot of books around that have photos and/or track plans for real sheds, which you could adapt to your needs. Quite a few are on eBay and are not expensive.

Shortening the sidings is a good idea provided you can get all the engines you want to accommodate on them.

Looking at your photos , I am not sure what the purpose of the platform beside the left hand siding in photo 2 is? 

I suggest you need to think about siding accommodation for loco coal wagons and also for 16ton minerals to take the ash generated away. Preferably, these should not access the shed area via the turntable, as this will make operation easier and more realistic.

Also, a more realistic look will result if the tracks are not on the same cork and ballast etc. as the main tracks. these areas were often ballasted with fine materials (such as loco ash!).

I hope the above is useful?

Cheers for now,

Paul

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Hi Julian,

Glad to see how your layout is developing!

Two thoughts on your locoshed area:-

1) What do you want from the shed area?- For instance, do you want to start a running session with all your locos on shed, and then have them leave one at a time to take up their duties, returning to shed at the end of the session?

2) There are a lot of books around that have photos and/or track plans for real sheds, which you could adapt to your needs. Quite a few are on eBay and are not expensive.

Shortening the sidings is a good idea provided you can get all the engines you want to accommodate on them.

Looking at your photos , I am not sure what the purpose of the platform beside the left hand siding in photo 2 is? 

I suggest you need to think about siding accommodation for loco coal wagons and also for 16ton minerals to take the ash generated away. Preferably, these should not access the shed area via the turntable, as this will make operation easier and more realistic.

Also, a more realistic look will result if the tracks are not on the same cork and ballast etc. as the main tracks. these areas were often ballasted with fine materials (such as loco ash!).

I hope the above is useful?

Cheers for now,

Paul

Thanks for this Paul,

1) I'm not that sophisticated with my running I basically "play" trains in a manner that pleases me rather than follow any established operating practices - so this doesn't matter (to me).

2) Noted but I work better when I get started withe basic track/structures and then the detail evolves - the problem here is I cant get started!

3) I have already removed the scenery/buildings and shortening the sidings increasingly feels the right thing to do as it will allow a tangible scene to be modelled at the end - be it Industry, Shops or Houses 

4) The platform serves no purpose it was simply lying around!

5) Siding uses - that's the type of input I need - what buildings would be used here - kit examples would help

6) Another siding in this area not T/T related would be a problem but I'll have a look

7) Ballasting comments noted - I'll have to review track levels esp the turntable before committing to levels but there's no reason why the cork cant be built up in the loco shed area (after the T/T) and then ash universally spread.

All good stuff - thanks for the input ..............

J

Edited by halsey

Hi Jules,

Glad I could help!

I will also be adding a loco depot to my layout "Bradenham" over the next few months.

While mine will be a small affair for c6 tank engines, without a turntable, and has no tracks yet except for an entry point, I will be getting to grips with some of the things I highlighted in my previous reply to your thread.

So if you keep an eye on my thread "Lower Thames Yard" you will see where I go wrong and perhaps avoid the same pitfalls?

Cheers for now,

Paul

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I’m in a not too dissimilar position in terms of modelling loco facilities by imagination rather than historic visual experience. That said, I have found that for my Rule 1 layout, a key factor is simply how many locos I have and my preference to keep them on the layout (preferably on display as opposed to in hidden storage roads). I say Rule 1, simply because I have more locos than the station size might demand, and as I can only manage two locos/trains circling whilst I shunt with a third, there’s always another seven parked somewhere.

So think carefully about shortening loco roads and sidings, as you may find your loco stud will grow over time, and then you may wish to had those sidings back again.

Ian

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, ITG said:

I’m in a not too dissimilar position in terms of modelling loco facilities by imagination rather than historic visual experience. That said, I have found that for my Rule 1 layout, a key factor is simply how many locos I have and my preference to keep them on the layout (preferably on display as opposed to in hidden storage roads). I say Rule 1, simply because I have more locos than the station size might demand, and as I can only manage two locos/trains circling whilst I shunt with a third, there’s always another seven parked somewhere.

So think carefully about shortening loco roads and sidings, as you may find your loco stud will grow over time, and then you may wish to had those sidings back again.

Ian

Hi

I have actually taken the step of gradually reducing my loco stable from 11 at max to 5 at the moment with one on order.

I find the frustration of poor running when you want to use one (or demonstrate to visiting dinner guests) is considerably lessened if you have a smaller stable and they therefore run more regularly be it on a rolling road (esp my two 009's) or my OO's on the up and down lines whilst I'm doing something else.

I have now shortened all 4 sidings a total of app 30" (3x6" and 1x12") so not too drastic.

There is additional space in the shed buildings and on the passenger sidings and on the hidden siding in the tunnel which even I forget is there!

J

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, halsey said:

I have actually taken the step of gradually reducing my loco stable from 11 at max to 5 at the moment with one on order.

Courageous!

28 minutes ago, halsey said:

find the frustration of poor running when you want to use one (or demonstrate to visiting dinner guests) is considerably lessened if you have a smaller stable and they therefore run more regularly be it on a rolling road (esp my two 009's) or my OO's on the up and down lines whilst I'm doing something else

Fair point. I try to always leave a different pair circling every time I’m in the room for more than 30 mins or so. Touch wood, any mishaps or failures are normally due to me forgetting to change a point whilst chatting to guests. It’s a tricky balancing act doing the two things at once. I’ve just downloaded various BBC Sound Effects to play in the background, but may be I should add a commentary for visitors, leaving me to concentrate!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the individual contributions but as this side topic didn't take off on its own I have reverted back to my Main thread/Topic and posted pictures of progress so far.................

Interestingly the process of thinking about this independently and starting this topic actually helped me galvanise my thoughts which must have been lurking somewhere in my sub-conscious!

It has given me a direction and context which I didn't have before - result!

J

• Like 1