Andy W modern image network rail stock, Colas 08-16 tamper, WCML and cheshire stock, Avanti Voyager

9 minutes ago, pteandy1402 said:

The updated lights don't have separate markers so they remain in place and we're sanded flush.  I used a cocktail stick to just push them out from the rear then used a drill bit the same size as the hole to drill from the rear and create the extra hole and push the lens out at the same time. I had to modify the circuit boards to add a 0805 bi mode led for red tail lamps and white markers for the inner 2 lights and separate white leds for the day and night headlights.

thanks very helpful. Will do the same! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/12/2023 at 18:41, WCML100 said:

Wow that looks amazing! How did you manage to 3d print it? Would be great if you could share would come in might handy! Cheers

I almost finished a degree in engineering and picked up some basic cad skills. I compared the Bachmann  mpv dimensions to photos and drew up the 3d printed and a company called 3dorintingcorner printed them he might have it on file if not I could get s lad at our club to print them for a fee 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Had another little thought about the MPV lights, if you look at some of my pics you will see that when I’ve taken a photo the tail lights have gone out, they are battery powered and as the units are quite old the batteries don’t hold up as long as they used to 

could you have a function that when the unit stops then changes direction the tail lights stay on for a short while then go out? 

Maybe have them come back on when the unit moves off?

ideally you’d need to sync it with a cab shut down sound set (gearbox into neutral clunk, brake vent sound) and then a cab activation sound (AWS and 3 clicks) but having to listen to that every time you changed direction would be a pain, and time consuming! 

13 hours ago, big jim said:

Had another little thought about the MPV lights, if you look at some of my pics you will see that when I’ve taken a photo the tail lights have gone out, they are battery powered and as the units are quite old the batteries don’t hold up as long as they used to 

could you have a function that when the unit stops then changes direction the tail lights stay on for a short while then go out? 

Maybe have them come back on when the unit moves off?

ideally you’d need to sync it with a cab shut down sound set (gearbox into neutral clunk, brake vent sound) and then a cab activation sound (AWS and 3 clicks) but having to listen to that every time you changed direction would be a pain, and time consuming! 

Are the battery's charged once in motion or while the engine is running and would the headlights sim and fade out or is it just the tail lamps on there own battery circuit?

22 hours ago, pteandy1402 said:

I almost finished a degree in engineering and picked up some basic cad skills. I compared the Bachmann  mpv dimensions to photos and drew up the 3d printed and a company called 3dorintingcorner printed them he might have it on file if not I could get s lad at our club to print them for a fee 

thanks. I will drop you a PM!

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, pteandy1402 said:

Are the battery's charged once in motion or while the engine is running and would the headlights sim and fade out or is it just the tail lamps on there own battery circuit?

They will go out even with the engine running, just go off, no fade

They come back on as soon as you put the key back in and energise the cab 

move never used the spot lights on the front, I’ll give them a go later so see if they set an alarm off while in motion but I’m sure they wouldn’t 

Edited by big jim

49 minutes ago, big jim said:

They will go out even with the engine running, just go off, no fade

They come back on as soon as you put the key back in and energise the cab 

move never used the spot lights on the front, I’ll give them a go later so see if they set an alarm off while in motion but I’m sure they wouldn’t 

How long would you normally be stopped before you would deenergise the cab? What noise noises would it go through to deenergise? I've seen a video of the mpv moving and the lower spotlights on the front on

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, pteandy1402 said:

How long would you normally be stopped before you would deenergise the cab? What noise noises would it go through to deenergise? I've seen a video of the mpv moving and the lower spotlights on the front on

I normally shut the cab down within a few seconds of arriving to change ends

i had a bit of a play tonight and yes you can run with the ‘work lights’ lit, you get a warning in the screen ‘work lights lit in motion ‘’ but you don’t get a fault light as you do with the walkway light 

to further complicate things there are 3 separate work lights, left, right and front, all independent of each other! 

front 

IMG_3946.jpeg

The left/right are below the step either side, I’ll be honest and say I’ve never actually noticed those before, or if I have I’ve never thought about how they work until tonight! 

IMG_3947.jpeg

Both units are individual so you can have both ‘carriages’ lit or just one using the separate switches in each cab 

IMG_3948.jpeg

as for cab sounds and procedures, this is shutting the cab down, description in the video 

Cab activation 

as well as the normal horns they have an electric horn too, almost like a car horn! 

hope those are of use to you, if your at making tracks at blakemere I’ll come over and say hi at some point 

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, big jim said:

i had a bit of a play tonight and yes you can run with the ‘work lights’ lit, you get a warning in the screen ‘work lights lit in motion ‘’ but you don’t get a fault light as you do with the walkway light 

to further complicate things there are 3 separate work lights, left, right and front, all independent of each other! 

front 

IMG_3946.jpeg

The left/right are below the step either side, I’ll be honest and say I’ve never actually noticed those before, or if I have I’ve never thought about how they work until tonight! 

IMG_3947.jpeg

Both units are individual so you can have both ‘carriages’ lit or just one using the separate switches in each cab 

IMG_3948.jpeg

as for cab sounds and procedures, this is shutting the cab down, description in the video 

Cab activation 

as well as the normal horns they have an electric horn too, almost like a car horn! 

hope those are of use to you, if your at making tracks at blakemere I’ll come over and say hi at some point 

I am going to add the strip lights on the sides never noticed them before. Will see if I can create a sequence fire the activation but will definitely add a quiet alarm for the gangway light being left on. Going to modify the water jetting sound to include the minimum speed and if the apu isn't running start that first. My Mrs is having a major operation just before Christmas and I'll be watching our lad and helping her so not sure how much I'll get to blakemere but let me know when your going and I'll try to pop down

On 16/12/2023 at 05:10, big jim said:

front 

IMG_3946.jpeg

IMG_3947.jpeg

IMG_3948.jpeg

Cab activation 

When do you think you'll make it over to blakemere? Is there any chance you could record the buzzer sound for the gangway light left on while moving and any alarm you would get when the blue light for the apu comes on?

Spot the difference between my mpv water module and the old pure grey water tank that came with it. Decals added from railtec and custom decals from precision labels. Chrome paint from ak, 3d printed brace and cage drawn by me and printed by a lad at the club. 

20231229_231300.jpg.40befd5edf657b19b3ac3780d3ad2037.jpg

20231229_231256.jpg.6f0d305ac0102b05ee4ff1b98b102349.jpg

20231229_231141.jpg.d628c29ea61ab539780bccf7769fc114.jpg

20231229_231120.jpg.98fb07b356ee295b61d54e985819ed16.jpg

20231229_173641.jpg.3c32a4a74c2c474eb25f0e0511f01992.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Lighting nearly completly done a couple of leds to go the sound file is linked to the lights so as per big jim the buzzer goes off of the gangway lights remain on. I've put a function to recreate a apu fault so the blue beacon flashes and the water jets and apu stop. Legomanbiffos sound file automatically stops the keys when stationary or slow speeds. The detonator flash is synced to leds by the wheels and the cablights turn off when stationary

20240114_231353.jpg.ebf59a047c62b9e122aa4a2300b554d2.jpg

20240114_231130.jpg.de8df0ed69fa0b9463708064b7cc1861.jpg

20240114_231347.jpg.ff79c8e05ac94e4be360bcb4677dd689.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3