RMweb

Help wanted

John Besley

53 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Another option is Raspberry pi and JMRI ( Steve Todd's image). Both get updated regularly; cost approx £100 with a power supply. Can use remote screen and keyboard (eg windows laptop) or its own - see Steve's website for more info.

What's the website .. please

1)  do you want to head into computers and semi-DIY stuff ?     Because its a very large jump from thinking of buying a Prodigy System.  

2)  The list is incomplete....    You need to add a DCC system to it.   Typical low-cost starting places are "Sprog" or "DCC-Ex".   
The Sprog is long established small device which requires a computer to operate, comes in a variety of forms, but "Sprog II" or "Sprog III" is probably the simplest to use and understand (fewer issues than the "Pi-Sprog" option mentioned above).    
The latter is a newer "build yourself" DCC system based on an Arduino and some other hardware (its "push together" assemble, the hardest part being loading software to it).   There is a small UK outfit offering "pre-built" setups.  

The Raspberry PI is standard hardware (though note the new Pi-5 doesn't work with it yet).   Any Google search will throw up the first hit for "Steve Todd JMRI Image" to the relevant website.    Its a downloadable file to create the Raspberry PI bootup SD card.     
It is not the only way to run JMRI, though it is a very convenient if you already have a spare Raspberry PI, or want to have a dedicated device for it. 
You could do without the Raspberry PI, and connect either the Sprog or DCC-Ex to a normal computer running JMRI.  (or any of dozens (hundreds?) of other DCC systems could connect).   

Then there is "how to control things".  The Raspberry PI (or conventional computer) could have any of:   Screen/keyboard/mouse attached;   remote desktop access from another computer;  use a tablet or phone running EngineDriver/WiThrottle Apps to control trains.   

So, quite possible,  could work for your trains,  but its not anywhere near the same as "buy a system plug it in" that the thread started from.  

- Nigel

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

For website; search for "Steve Todd JMRI" and enjoy! This is also linked to from the main JMRI site itself. 

There is a lot of help available here whatever way you go.

Nigel Cliffe has done a vast amount of work and, if I may say so humbly, is very valid.:happyclear::mellow:

Edited by BMS
More help I hope.

• RMweb Premium

I've had a Prodigy PA2 3.5amp system for around 13 years now. I'll try and list what I see as the plus and minus points.

+  you plug the bits together, flick the switch, instant use. If it's already set-up (mine sits all together in an A4 size really useful box with access holes cut where needed with the output plugging into the layout used via 5-din plugs/sockets), then just flick the switch. No time delay while it all boots up etc. before it's ready.

+ it's very easy to use for controlling locos. The handsets have separate buttons for quite a few of the main functions. No multiple button pushing to access the basic needs. Speed control can be either by rotary encoder or by push button and you can switch between the two on the fly.

+ the 3.5amp output means there is plenty of 'overhead' to have an accessory bus to power such as point motors, lighting and so forth. I actually take a feed of it to power hacked servos, lighting etc. via a voltage regulator. So no multiple power feeds into a layout. 

+ if you want there is now a wi-fi adapter to allow used of phones/tablets using either apple or android apps as an alternative to the Prodigy wi-fi handset ( I've ended up with both options over time).

-  It's okay writing to decoders using POM - program on main - but pretty slow/turgid trying to read/write using the system. I now have a Sprog II with which I do all programming via JMRI/Decoder Pro, it's vastly better than any programming via any handset.

-  When it comes to sound fitted locos like most handsets it falls down with convoluted access via multiple button pushing to get to the functions because of the limited number of buttons.

- There are few if any options for automated control. It is pretty much a 'closed' system although a computer interface is now around to allow limited use with JMRI. I have no idea whether it's worth the cost.

- the encoders on the handsets keep failing. Not working properly. I've tried Gaugemaster repairs and fitting replacements myself. Thankfully there are the push button speed controls. But it isn't good at all. Biggest downside I feel for something so basic.

- It is all round an expensive system these days compared to others offering much more.

Conclusions:

Would I get one again today knowing what I do? Very doubtful. Nigel's recommendation of the Z21 + Wlan Multimaus would on balance be where I'd end up I think. Very capable on all fronts with the option of a handset or phone/tablet.

But.. I might also end up with a variation on the Raspberry Pi front.  A Pi 400 + Sprog II/III with the other bits needed, Steve Todds etc. Just add a small screen for a complete system running JMRI with a graphical interface if needed. I believe @KingEdwardII has gone down this route. Quite a bit cheaper into the bargain I think. 

What you get I think all depends on whether you just want really simple plug & play and how much computer involvement you are happy to have or avoid.

Bob

I've got a Pi 400 running JMRI, but I have a very large (22") touchscreen display - the Pi is relatively low cost, but the touchscreen of this size bumps up the price. You don't have to use a screen of this size, but my fingers and my eyesight can't cope with small screens. I do use my Android mobile phone for wireless control of locos, linked via the Pi 400 - although the phone is again one of the largest Samsung devices.

I have a Digikeijs DR5000 system providing the DCC controller - no longer available, although YaMoRc have something equivalent available.

Yours, Mike.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Quick question on Zimo sound decoder run on a Powercab ... how do you turn the volume down as its a bit too loud, according to the data sheet from Digitrains it's in function 27 but when I select the function in the sub menu F20 - F28 it doesn't ajust the volume, do you have to do something to make the function stay in the selection of F20-F28.

F10-F19 works 

I am useing the Ruston 48 sound project

Edited by John Besley