Reviving a Liliput H0e locomotive

MattR

I was recently given this Liliput H0e Austrian locomotive from the Zillertalbahn. It was considered a non-runner, but I've gotten it running (well, categorically) again and the motor/pickups seem fine, but it still has some issues. I was wondering if anyone might have knowledge of these locomotives and be able impart any advice. Of course, it may not be worth trying to fix up either!

1.) The elephant in the room of course is the running gear. Apparently these little locomotives are rather old and perhaps were sold more as toys than serious models, as the running gear was all made of a very brittle plastic. Most of it was broken when I received it, and have removed the rest to allow it to run in some way without broken bits of plastic dangling off. I don't suppose anyone ever made some etched metal replacement running gear for this model? Spare plastic originals would work, but I don't really see any on the Internet.

2.) I can get it to run somewhat on straight track, but it derails on curves (my N gauge test track is Bachmann EZ Track 9" radius). I'm not sure if 9" radius is just too tight, or if the back-to-back on the wheels isn't correct, as it sometimes derails itself on straight track as well. Does anyone know what the correct back-to-back should be for H0e wheels?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

1.jpg

2.jpg

Hi, I know nothing about the loco, but just looking at the photo, you can see that the back-to-backs of the centre pair are definitely closer than the outer pairs of driving wheels. Regarding connecting rods, you should be able to make a pair out of some nickel silver or brass, provided you have access to a good, small drill - pillar drill better - and a quality bit. You'll have to have a steel straight edge for marking out and a centre punch to accurately place the marks to start the holes, but it should be doable . I'm not sure how it should be held in the wheels though - I can see a screw in the centre driver (bottom one in the picture).

Good luck with the repair!

Philip

• Like 1

I have a couple of these. One I have had for many years was destroyed by my children pushing the loco along !

I bought a replacement a few years ago and have just measured the back to back.

The wheels seem to easily slide on the axles but measuring on two of the axles plus the pony truck wheels measured  equally at 7.2 MM.

Measuring some other H0e items ( Eggerbahn- wagons, Original Minitrains- wagons modern Minitrains- loco and Jouef - decauville coach ) measured at about 7.5 MM but these probably have thinner flanges.

The newer loco I  have is not a very good runner even after tinkering with it so good luck with your restoration.

Hope this helps. Colin

• Like 1

If you do make coupling rods, I think you need to be careful because the axles are gear-coupled, and it’s easy to get the gears and coupling rods fighting one another. s your loco sits currently, the wheel-sets are out of phase with one another, so you’d have to dismantle it further, and put them in phase, before attaching coupling rods.

I used to have several of these locos, and IIRC the outer crank pin holes in the coupling rods are actually short slots, to avoid any possibility of ‘fighting’, so the rods transmit no force, all the work is through the gears.

The original valve-gear is actually fine if treated with respect - they were definitely ‘models’ rather than ‘toys’.

Edited by Nearholmer

Lilliput still make the 0-6-2 Zillertal U class.  I do wonder if a the current chassis would fit and if so, how easy is it to get a spare?

Incidentally, I did get mine to go round 6" radius including the original Peco crazy track points.  With modern 009 / HOe I guess that's a few old points to bin and a major layout rebuild?