Jamieson LMS Black 5 on Hornby DCC ready chassis. Not as easy as you think!!

ianLMS

• RMweb Gold

For whatever reason, i struggle to build a reliably smooth running chassis with DCC. So, i thought i would use later RTR chassis and just build kit bodies. Simples i thought!! Its been done for years so cant be that difficult!! Not so!!!

Like cars over the last 10-15 years, manufacturers have started to utilize every sqaure mm of space for their chassis and motors presumably to maximize weight loading.  The plastic body fits snug and no room left for much else.

My first effort was a Jubilee utilizing spare parts from white metal kits designed years a go for non-dcc chassis and a Bachmann dcc ready chassis. 

When fitting a kit body on the older chassis, the space was designed accordingly and relatively generous and wasnt an issue. The motor however would often stick out into the cab. When fitting on a dcc ready chassis, the clearances are much tighter and the thickness of the white metal kit is much thicker than the plastic affecting how it fitted and especially the height. The main issue is the firebox over the motor resulting in a higher footplate.

I finished the model but it is about 1mm too high. Not too noticeable mind.

For my second attempt, i am using a brass Jamieson kit for the body and a Hornby dcc ready chassis. The thin brass allows the body to fit easier, however, the firebox was too small compared to the drawings i have. I extended the height to fit over the motor and its now the correct dimensions.

Here it is so far.

20220111_064938.jpg

20220111_064949.jpg

20220111_065021.jpg

20220111_065016.jpg

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Very nice ! I did something similar with a DJH Black Five a few years ago, albeit on a non-DCC Hornby chassis. You need to remove an awful lot of metal from inside the boiler ! It'll  pull the house down though ...

In my case it was because the Kemilway chassis is was on was the only EM chassis I ever got to work properly, and I couldn't bear to dismantle and regauge it when I went back to OO.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Even with the brass kit i had to cut away the bottom of the boiler, raise the firebox and fettle with everything.

Its been a fun exercise though!!

What i really need to do is get better at building the kit chassis!!!!

• ianLMS changed the title to Jamieson LMS Black 5 on Hornby DCC ready chassis. Not as easy as you think!!

Ian

Interesting thoughts, though some see chassis building as dark arts others make it look so easy. Complicated motion is another field altogether. Using RTR chassis dates back to the early years and I am thinking about buying a 3D printed body designed to fit a Terrier RTR chassis, not having obe of those I think I have a spare Branchlines etched Terrier chassis which I can use

Like all things having extra bits of kit (decent chassis jig in this instance) does make things easier. A kit built chassis must be built both square and have the wheel bearings in line with the coupling rods, probably not as much of an issue with modern CAD designed kits as older hand drawn ones

The cheaper jigs do help, but these all singing ones for the avid kit builder certainly make life easier, I was lucky enough to find a second hand one at a knock down price 

• RMweb Gold

Thats the problem. I am one of those that has all the gear, but no idea!!! I have a very expensive Avonside chassis jig plus the cheaper type and still struggle!! A Missenden weekend is in order i think!!!

Edited by ianLMS