Using R/C servos on layouts

Guest baldrick25

I, for one, am definitely interested in this topic. But, I have a very rudimentary knowledge of electronics and would not have any idea how to build a control circuit for servos. On our layout, Alloa, we have used servos for our signals using the products previously (?) available from Embedded Controls, and these are very successful. I would still be prepared to buy such systems but at a more acceptable cost. (The EC units were of the order of £15 each for one signal arm!)I could, at a pinch, build something from a diagram but would have no idea of the theory behind the unit! (And would therefore have no idea how to fix it if it didn't work) We can't all be well versed in this area! B)

MERGs offering needs software adjustment to change- hands up anyone on this forum who has the skills and knowledge to write and program the software- not many then

There are two methods available for adjustment of the MERG Servo4 driver kit:

One is known as a 'ServoSet' box, which enables the user to set each end stop and traverse rate manually, using just knobs and switches on a box. You need just one of these boxes for any number of servo driver boards.

The second is to download a PC program from the MERG website which has a graphical user interface giving similar controls to the Set-up Box, but on a 'glass screen' instead.

Neither of these methods requires the user to write any software code.

• RMweb Gold

sequential operation of each of the outputs. This is necessary because should 8 outputs be toggled together then a very large surge current would be needed to be provided by a power supply - by operating sequentially , and only operating the next servo when the first has finished allows a very much smaller power supply and wiring can be used. It is also much much more realistic as signalmen rarely operated 8 points at the same time.

While I can see why you have gone for sequential operation there are lots of cases where it would be useful to be able to run two servos at the same time. Two examples being a simple crossover of two points worked from one lever which would be normal practice on the real railway, and level crossings with four barriers where they drop as two pairs and raise as all four together.

Andi

I am well aware that the images have gone, and the response by kipford , is indicative of the reason why.

PM's received, and the fact that many posts were made that MERG could do better , left me feeling that there was a violent outburst because someone else, me, wanted to take a different route to developing a simple , easy to build alternative to that which was available , along with an understanding of what they were building and more.

There's nothing wrong in wanting to things your own way, that's how we move on.

All this adjustable by the constructor, ( MERGs offering needs software adjustment to change- hands up anyone on this forum who has the skills and knowledge to write and program the software- not many then

Anonymous sniping at MERG, and making statements that are simply incorrect is the problem.

The MERG servo controller *can* be programmed from a PC. The software is already written and available from MERG, no one else needs the skills or knowledge to write it. It doesn't, however, *have* to use a computer. You build a one-off programming box that plugs in and sets as many servo controllers as you have. After that you simply wire up the operating switches or other electronics to drive it.

Andrew Crosland

Guest baldrick25
While I can see why you have gone for sequential operation there are lots of cases where it would be useful to be able to run two servos at the same time. Two examples being a simple crossover of two points worked from one lever which would be normal practice on the real railway, and level crossings with four barriers where they drop as two pairs and raise as all four together.

The first one with two points , and one lever , is simply add a wire link.

The second , of a level crossing, I hadn't given thought to , as I don't have a level crossing on my layout ( yet) . First thoughts are that it could be achieved by two wire links such that they operate as pairs , and a diode on the control inputs, to give four servos lifting together , but fall as two pairs.

The alternative is to use one servo for each diagonally opposite pairs of barriers, and a mechanical linkage to lift and drop them together. A diode on the control inputs would then give the sequential drop of the barriers, and lift all four together. I'm busy on something else today and tomorrow, and on the Cambrian steam Wednesday, so I'll give it a test later this week.

The first one with two points , and one lever , is simply add a wire link.

The second , of a level crossing, I hadn't given thought to , as I don't have a level crossing on my layout ( yet) . First thoughts are that it could be achieved by two wire links such that they operate as pairs , and a diode on the control inputs, to give four servos lifting together , but fall as two pairs.

The alternative is to use one servo for each diagonally opposite pairs of barriers, and a mechanical linkage to lift and drop them together. A diode on the control inputs would then give the sequential drop of the barriers, and lift all four together. I'm busy on something else today and tomorrow, and on the Cambrian steam Wednesday, so I'll give it a test later this week.

If you want to use two servos together, you can always use a 'Y' splitter cable and plug them both into the same connector. Current consumption of servos is usually only excessive when they are stalled. It used to be quite normal to run a pair that way in aircraft on a set of four zinc-carbon batteries!

• RMweb Gold

If you want to use two servos together, you can always use a 'Y' splitter cable and plug them both into the same connector. Current consumption of servos is usually only excessive when they are stalled. It used to be quite normal to run a pair that way in aircraft on a set of four zinc-carbon batteries!

Using a Y cable would lose all the benefits of individual adjustability of each servo though, important when setting the end positions for a pair driving a crossover.

Andi

I only found this forum a few days ago --searching for stuff on servos and model railways -- I am gratefull for KIPFORD's post re MUTR as a source of cheap servo controllers and tower 9g servos ( I have now made a couple from circuits I found on the i' net but i concur re buying for £2.50 rather than building for a £1).

I am however dismayed that this forum seems at least as bad as others I have used for negative posting. I guess I will have to try to ignore the crap and look for the bits that give advice and information if I am researching something in the forum ! Maybe I had the bad luck to pick a thread that is not typical of the forum !

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Moria

Hi shortliner.. funnily enough I have just ordered some bits from Tam valley including a singlet, servo mount and some bits. The quad has the ability to have switches added for frogs etc and I understand the singlet is being redesigned to have a douple pole relay available.

For my first experiment, I will hot glue a couple of microswitches to the side of the servo to get what I need.

I found the info and the email responses very helpful and friendly, and will let you know how I get on when the bits arrive next week.

Although a slightly more expensive option, on my 2mm layout, I think servos as the point motors from a quad and a hex frog juicer for the frogs may be the best way forward for minimum wiring and fit and forget wiring laugh.gif

Regards

Graham

Archived