3 Wheeled vehicles on Carflats

Steven B

9 hours ago, Chris M said:

So far as  am aware there was no mixing of wagon types on Motorail services. I know it differed on various routes but all the services I saw used the flat wagons only; there would not have been the possibility of adding a GUV to the train, especially just for one car.

There was some mixing of wagon types on Motorail services, as the 1970 LMR Passenger Train Marshalling Book has details of one service where a Cartic-4 and several Carflats were used on the same train. IIRC, the service started with just the Cartic, and the flats were added on the rear at an intermediate station.

On 13/01/2022 at 18:46, jonhall said:

Slightly diverting the question, I wonder if anyone has evidence to support where the AC's were loaded? Hampton Court would have been geographically closer (one of the peripheral AC sites was on the old goods yard at Hampton Court)  but I suspect Surbiton is more likely as it had a car loading ramp for the Oakhampton motorail service.

Jon

Southern Wagons in Colour by Mike King (ISBN 978-1-909328-19-8) has 4 photos in colour showing the AC cars loaded on Conflat D’s. They are all roped down. The notes say that Surbiton station was used for loading and when Surbiton yard closed, Guildford was used until 1976 when production ceased. The photos are taken at Guildford and dated around 1970.

Jeff

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1