GWR greens

What is the best paint to use colour wise for 1930s period . Many of my locos done years ago were done in precision post 1928 green, however the last few tins I’ve had seem to be a wrong shade, more of an almost bluish tint? The match is miles away from the old paints and wondering where to go from here. The paint is going on top of rattle can black where the footplate etc has been sprayed black , but that shouldn’t alter the colour shade too much. The pre 1928 green seems fine? I thought I may have had a bad batch bought a couple of years ago but the latest ones are the same shade. Any suggestions please?

TIA

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

In the absence of any replies, try BS381C  224. Deep bronze green. I've been using it on commissions where the client stipulated post 1932 GWR green and he's happy with it. Also sprayed over satin black etch primer. Get it made up into aerosol at your local motor factors place. HTH

• RMweb Gold

I'm surprised that you apply it over a black primer which would seem (to me) to darken it considerably. I always use a grey primer that seems to give a better result.

I also find it is necessary to stir the paint very well, the constituents seem to separate out much more quickly these days, and to keep stirring it during use.

Rattle cans can be fine, but they do throw out an awful lot of paint, so you need to move very quickly. Even a budget airbrush will give you a finer result.

Ian