The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

BT Broadband

Dagworth

• RMweb Gold

The BT engineers have been in again, and have changed us onto a different cable run back to the exchange.

I'm also told that the local exchange is going over to ADSL2+ at the end of August, with fibre to the cabinet being installed in quarter 4 of this year... meanwhile I now have a DSL connection worth talking about, all I have to do now is wait for the IP profile of the line to reset itself.

post-6674-127728139731.jpg

This sort of fibre optic connection was vetoed when the cable was originally laid. The reason given is that if someone was to interfere with the fibre optic cable and look down the end of it they would be permanently blinded.

Don't be too quick to have this connection. Such bandwidth is a two way street and the utilities companies are able to hook up your meters and read them at will and cut you off as well plus they could install a webcam in your tele and spy on you 24/7.

Just to clear up any confusion. The fibre optics run to the green street cabinet - for me that's about half a mile away - then connects via the standard telephone cable to the house. BT change the master socket, fit a modem and a Fibre Home Hub. They do not provide fibre the the premises.

If you know where your green cabinet is, when you see a second cabinet installed alongside it that is usually the cabinet for the fibre.

Dave

Archived