Lights, camera, action! Any idea which camera to mount on a layout?

Hello, 

I am just wondering if people have used a camera on a layout - which kind - pin hole or another small one. I am looking to mount one, possibly 2 cameras in station buildings that then are wired in to the boards. It would be helpful if they had HDMI or a means to connect to this given plans to connect them onto a monitor. 

Any advice on this would be very helpful... 

Thanks Cliff. I appreciate the help your offering but I am after a fixed camera that can be wired into something like a laptop and then project onwards onto a screen. 

A phone inside the station building will be awkward, especially in terms of cables for connection and charging.  

4 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

Any advice on this would be very helpful...

Have you considered a small 'cube cam', typically 25-30mm each side? They can record onto an SD card or wirelessly transmit to your phone, where you can view the footage in real time. If you provide a 5v supply (via the USB socket) it'll keep going forever (there is a built-in li-ion battery). Maybe a little big for inside a small building, but great for fitting to a wagon. There are plenty of types, but the Q15 model seems to a good choice (it's only 720p though, regardless of what the adverts say).

Ian

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, The Black Hat said:

Looking at Cube cams might be an option but I am wondering if theres anyone out there with some already installed and what they use?

I'm using one, which is why I made the suggestion. I have it attached to a 4-wheeled flat wagon and use it to record runs around the model railway 'from the drivers' perspective'. I also find it useful to inspect those elements of the layout to which access is limited.

However, it could also be used to record 'from a trainspotters' perspective' by placing the cube cam on a station platform or wayside.

If you look at the layout by  @Darius43, he has some good videos from a cube cam.

Ian

• Craftsmanship/clever 1