Triang (00) axle diameter

Yes, Triang used 9/64" .  If we wanted to fit scale wheels it was necessary to use thin wall brass bushes to reduce the holes to 1/8".

A bush would also be needed for the gear wheel.

I see that Markits list a 9/64" axle  so that so that could be used with their wheels to avoid the need for bushes.

I've often wondered why they chose such an odd size.

Rodney

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, RodneyS said:

Yes, Triang used 9/64" .  If we wanted to fit scale wheels it was necessary to use thin wall brass bushes to reduce the holes to 1/8".

A bush would also be needed for the gear wheel.

I see that Markits list a 9/64" axle  so that so that could be used with their wheels to avoid the need for bushes.

I've often wondered why they chose such an odd size.

Rodney

It is a defacto standard if you make many millions of an item.

The Triang chassis was designed for two rail, AFAIK the original chassis were thin strip steel with Mazak spacers  screwed together with long 8BA screws threaded into one chassis side. The 9/64ths axle gave a decent bearing surface and a decent amount of meat around the insulated bush.    Hornby Dublo designed for 3 rail initially,  had 1/8th axles running in much longer Mazak bearings and the axles are much more prone to bending than Triang. They also work loose in the non insulated wheel.   The 9/64ths is a much more workmanlike product.  Later ones have a smaller spline, still larger than H/D which is neater and still pretty robust.   The Markits 9/64ths axle works a lot better than the 1/8th especially for Wheels over 22mm, 24, 26/7mm all tend to work loose when I use 1/8th axles but seem to stay put on 9/64ths.

Full size locos had pretty meaty axles, many with holes right through so a lot of RTR axles are undersize.   I don't like Triang wheels,  I prefer fit 24mm, 22mm and 18mm (8F)  H/D wheels and axles with Romford axle bushes to Triang Chassis but  where there is no suitabe H/D wheel Romfords on 9/64th Markits axles get the job done.  Before Markits did the 9/64ths axle I used to use 1/8th axles with Romford wheels on Triang 0-6-0s  but drill out the center wheels to be a force fit on the Triang  splined axle,  They are rim insulated so no need for centre bushes. 

• Informative/Useful 1

Yes Tri-ang used 9/64" whereas the general consensus (Dublo, Hamblings, K's, Romford) was 1/8". I've never had muchproblem with Dublo axles either bending (especially the later ones wide thicker wheel inserts) or the wheels falling  off (there'a a Loctite product to cure this!).

The Tri-ang insulated bushes are prone to break up if insufficient care is used in their removal from the axle, despite their chunky dimensions.

AFAIK Tri-ang inherited the 9/64" axle from the (rubbish) Rovex train set they bought in. IMHO it would have been better if they'd copied their other buy-in, the Trackmaster set.

Tri-ang wheels get replaced either with bushed Dublo wheelsets or the far superior later Hornby product (still 9/64").

Edited by Il Grifone

I have updated a few of my older TRi-Ang / Tri-Ang Hornby models with finer wheels.  Specifically, the 0-6-0 chassis used on the Jinty, the 0-6-0 tender loco and 57xx; the 4-4-0 chassis on an SR L1 (also used for the LMS 2P and the 0-4-0 chassis under my Nellie.  As suggested above, I have used Romford / Markits 1/8th" bushes in the frames and generally used Romford / Markits wheel and axle sets for quartering.  Unfortunately, I was unable to get Markit wheels for Nellie at the time I was looking; so I think I used Alan Sharman wheels - quartering by eye.  Also as noted, the gear wheel also needs to be bused.  I found out that using the Romfords / Markits 1/8th" bushes then the gear wheel could be force fitted onto the bush resulting in a good "friction fit" to the Ronmford (and Sharman) axles.  No need for glue nor solder; the locos run fine through modern point work - unlike the original wheel sets. 

One further comment; the old Tri-Ang screws to hold the coupling rods in place fit the Romford and Sharman wheels perfectly and have been reused along with the original coupling rods.

On 24/01/2022 at 10:22, knitpick said:

.  Unfortunately, I was unable to get Markit wheels for Nellie at the time I was looking; so I think I used Alan Sharman wheels - quartering by eye.  Also as noted, the gear wheel also needs to be bused

One further comment; the old Tri-Ang screws to hold the coupling rods in place fit the Romford and Sharman wheels perfectly and have been reused along with the original coupling rods.

I used a Romford 40:1     1/8" axle gearset in "Nellie" without altering the motor mount and so didn't need to bush the Triang gearwheel.

The Triang TT worm is a single start and fits the X04 and gives what must be around a 30:1 ratio instead of 15 ish to 1.  AFAIK Nellie is the only Triang Chassis where the Romford gearset is a straight swap.

The Triang coupling rod screws poke right through Markits wheels so I file the pointy end off until the back is flush.  Remember to put a washer between rod and Markits insulated wheel or the rod will short on the rim, I do both. Romford top hat pin point axle bearings flanges make ideal spacer washers.

I also drill Markits wheels to take the Triang return crank crank pin. Again the head at the back needs filing down but its a good workmanlike job unlike the fancy "Scale" variety

Edited by DCB
  • Informative/Useful 1

That is interesting. A Nellie chassis with 40:1 ratio opens up possibilities for replacement chassis for several models. There is plenty of space for adding frames for an 0-6-0, once the coarse wheels have gone. IIRC the wheelbase is 34mm (8' 6"), but I could be wrong. I don't have one to hand to check. Possibly they are the same as the gears in the motor bogies - must check.