Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Improving your own modelling standards...?

I thought these pictures might make the start of an interesting topic...

I've been in the hobby over 30 years now (cue violins! :icon_redface: ), and it was 20 years ago, thanks to an article in the then Scale Model Trains, that I ventured into US N scale, which I modelled for about 10 years.

There have been times recently when I've thought I should've stuck with the N scale, as for me, the Soo Line means long trains, tall silos and wide open spaces- something I'm really not going to manage in O scale ...

When I find myself wishing like that, I compare photos like this, my first N scale loco...

Nscale1.jpg

...with photos like this, my latest O scale loco...

472bbd19.jpg

... and strangely, the feeling goes away... :icon_biggrin: :icon_wink:

There is exactly 20 years between the two photos (1989/2009)... at least I'd like to think I've made some progress in my modelling standards in all that time...!!! :icon_rolleyes: :icon_thumbsup2: (There's also been an improvement in cameras!!)

Does anyone else have photos like this, of their previous models, maybe from years ago, that gives them some sense of improving their own modelling standards, over time?

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone else have photos like this, of their previous models, maybe from years ago, that gives them some sense of improving their own modelling standards, over time?

I certainly have some horrors but I wonder if part of it is also down to our photography improving. Most of my older layout photos, even the early digital ones, have poor depth of field, harsh use of flash etc, which don't do the modelling any favours. I'll dig some out...

What an interesting thread, especially to me as I have just had the pleasure of viewing 30 years of my model building on a visit to a collector of my work.

I have, from day one, always strived to improve and hone my building techniques. Here are a couple of examples.

This first one is over 30 years old now. In gauge 1 and totally scratch built. I remember using CCW cast wheels, insulated by cuttubg through the sprokes on one side. The motor was a JH, I think using CCW gears. The name plates were still on order when this photo was taken on my old Cannon 35mm SLR.

img1091.jpg

This next one is my 7mm narrow gauge period. (This was during the early 80's) All rolling stock scratch built from Plastikard. Locos where a mixture of scratch, 00 much modified and kit built.

img1092.jpg

Today, well I think you all know where I'm at by now. Modelling 7mm light railway, based on Col. Stephens light railways. Digital everything, camera and layout control. It took a few years to get into DCC, but I'm so glad I did. I now find it a little boring running without sound. Scratch building stock and locos is now rare. The Ramsbottom

0-4-0T is a the only example of that recently. I scratch built the cab as the kit was an open cab version.

DSC01588.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have any photos to compare, but my former solicitor was also my first proper customer when I started doing this for a living, & he still has some of the motorised airfix 'Schools' kits I built for him... They look absolutely awful! My early attempts at lining were particularly abysmal....

I don't have any photos to compare, but my former solicitor was also my first proper customer when I started doing this for a living, & he still has some of the motorised airfix 'Schools' kits I built for him... They look absolutely awful! My early attempts at lining were particularly abysmal....

I too, like brucie the fish, (above) do not have any pictures of my early work. I would argue that this is not a bad thing though. This thread set me thinking back to when I was about 15, (over 20 years ago) and a visit to Halfords to get something like BR Maroon to paint a Lima western. I shudder at the next bit, but I did'nt use undercoat and took about 8 THICK coats to cover it. I had never heard of flush glazing packs and couldn't get the Lima unit out, so left it in and just painted the windows Black....... I can't bring myself to go on.........

I am 100% certain that the stuff I'm modelling now is 100% better, but given my early experiences, would still argue you have to start somewhere and would encourage any one to have a go. As long as its not an expensive or rare model, no matter what the outcome, it will surely be a start on a long and happy journey.

I wish I still had that Western to compare and prove my point. I can't even remember what I did with it........ Ah well.

Happy modelling.

Sean. biggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Funny, I was thinking about this only yesterday. Back in the '70's I built some of the earliest white metal kits, and totally failed to build others, but that's another story. Anyway, I remember being quite proud of my efforts at the time.They were sold during one of my frequent changes of plan, but some years later a BEC J11 turned up in a local model shop. The owner took the opportunity to show me just how appallingly it had been put together."How could anybody build something this bad?" sums it up. I didn't tell him.

I've come on in leaps and bounds from both the first time round, and when I restarted some 4 years ago now.

I was really proud of this at the time, it's not quite so good when I look at it now (and it's still not finished!) - my first detailing and conversion exercise using one of the (then new) Bachmann peaks:

post-6668-12596148693609_thumb.jpg

Through to my first real attempt at weathering, after getting back into the hobby:

glorious1.jpg

Which, whilst OK, leaves a bit to be desired when compared to some of the other items that have been across the bench in the years that followed, culminating in the latest loco to leave the bench - 09013:

gallery_6668_11_29426.jpg

I always try to make each one I do better than the last - I'm still getting better with each one, but the rate of progress has slowed considerably! I think it's good to look back from time to time though, just to remind yourself that you are making progress - it works for me anyhow!

Through to my first real attempt at weathering, after getting back into the hobby:

glorious1.jpg

Which, whilst OK, leaves a bit to be desired when compared to some of the other items that have been across the bench in the years that followed,

I think your being a bit harsh on yourself here! The 50 looks fantastic, really like what you have done with the buffers, and the lower body crud looks just right!

Cheers,

Stephen

• RMweb Gold

I think your being a bit harsh on yourself here! The 50 looks fantastic, really like what you have done with the buffers, and the lower body crud looks just right!

Cheers,

Stephen

the 'buffer' tip was definitely one of the best things I have ever read anywhere! :icon_thumbsup2: not seen anything as convincing before or since!

Archived