Modelling Track-level walkways?

I've completed this engine shed and hard-standing area, with rough ground to the rear, on my (first ever) layout today. The problem is that there is no direct access to the area (if it were prototypical).

Can someone advise me where to buy or how to model the ground-level walkways that cross tracks? I can't recall the actual name for them.

Thanks for any tips.

Stephen

shed.jpg

• RMweb Premium

The shed area will normally be ash ballasted to the top of the sleepers and in some places upto rail level,  locos are heavy enough to make their own flangeways in ash.

Which direction do you expect your locomen to approach the shed? If they are expected to cross a running line then it will probably have a boarded crossing with ash pathways. Loco sheds were never short of ash. It's easier to put it into a barrow and tip it, than heave it up into a wagon for disposal elsewhere.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Which direction do you expect your locomen to approach the shed? If they are expected to cross a running line then it will probably have a boarded crossing with ash pathways. Loco sheds were never short of ash. It's easier to put it into a barrow and tip it, than heave it up into a wagon for disposal elsewhere.

Very helpful and informative reply, thank you. I'll see if I can find some ash barrels. Since posting I have ordered some balsa strips to make planks. I've got a lot of ash and Coal ballast in other areas of the layout, so I didn't want to go overboard here.

Edited by latestarter