RMweb

Van No. 227650

Can anyone identify this van, please?  I believe it to have been built by the LNER but I'd appreciate it if anyone can confirm this and identify the diagram number.  Any other details, e.g. wheelbase, would be much appreciated so I can see if there is a OO gauge rtr or kit available.

Thanks in anticipation

Stan

BHS122.jpg

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Stanley Melrose said:

Can anyone identify this van, please?  I believe it to have been built by the LNER but I'd appreciate it if anyone can confirm this and identify the diagram number.  Any other details, e.g. wheelbase, would be much appreciated so I can see if there is a OO gauge rtr or kit available.

Thanks in anticipation

Stan

BHS122.jpg

The DM prefix indicates a wagon of LMS origin; the secondary suspension is also an LMS characteristic.

CJI.

• Agree 2

Looks to be a LMS D1808/D1812/D1830 van  (minor differences in wheel size and width over door fastenings).  All three diagrans seem to have been numbered randomly rather than in series by lots.

"Absence of block numbers makes it rather difficult to be certain exactly which vehicles were built to this [D1808] diagram in that D1812 and D1830 were almost identical, and, as far as running numbers are concerned, the three diagrams will be considered together"

LMS Wagons Vol1, Essery

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

The DM prefix indicates a wagon of LMS origin; the secondary suspension is also an LMS characteristic.

CJI.

Further research in LMS Wagons 1 suggests it may well be from one of Diagrams 1808, 1812 or 1830.

CJI.

• Agree 1

LMS D1891/D1897/D1978/D2039, again all outwardly similar but with minor differences between diagrams.

I would err towards it being a D2039 with three part ends (and perhaps slightly lower door lock location -they seem to be on the 5th full plank up on D2039, rather than the 6th on earlier diagrams - although the thin plank below the lock suggested it has been replanked at some point)  and with BR era diagonal strapping on the sides.

Edited by 41516
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1