ABC section causes loco to emit strange noise

DanielP

Hi,

I've just added a ABC section to the end of a siding by means of the Lenz BM1 module. The section is about 1 length of flexi track and the braking works as expected across a range of decoders and locos.

The strange part is that a Bachmann 47 with a Zimo MX638D decoder emits a strange low-level whiney noise as soon as it enters the braking section and the noise stops as soon as it leaves. It performs fine, slows and stops, although the stopping point isn't 100% reliable. The noise is present with the loco just sitting idle in the section. If the BM1 is bypassed then the noise stops immediately. Wondering if there are any suggestions on how to stop the noise? 

Thanks in advance.

It was just a thought, but I have no experience of setting up Zimo Constant Braking Distance. However, I do with Lenz & have found that once set up thr stopping is to within a millemeter every time.

Maybe the top speed is set a little high ?

Still does not explain the noise - I'd be inclined to try another decoder.

• Thanks 1

I'm now wondering if it would be unfair to try and return the Zimo to the retailer as it only fails in one specific way and maybe only in my specific setup. I think I'll probably just keep until my next 21pin loco arrives and see what happens then.