Building Signals

After just over a year of lurking in the dark wiring up a signalbox thoughts have turned to getting some outside kit ready. I'll post pictures of the signals as i build them as the details may be useful..

AFB2B8BC-82CE-486E-B7E4-272878AE62F7.jpeg

6286E394-33AF-4A0E-B7C5-FD6A7EBD13DA.jpeg

312E1B65-0368-4328-AB52-E514818DE60D.jpeg

Edited by LNERGE
  • Like 8

13 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Very nice, I wish you well.

Even though the spectacle plates are the wrong shape.  :-)

Paul.

I know what you mean. I’m actually from somersault land living within a couple of miles of Mr French, joint patentee of the somersault signal. 

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

That crane looks a lot easier than getting a gang of blokes with ropes to plant a post.  :)

Probably safer too.

Actually it's amazingly easy to do it that way if the bloke in charge (and ideally the rest of the gang) know what they are at.   When I was involved in re-planting one on a preservation site with an 'old school' BR S&T Tech in charge I was surprised just how easy it was to do it (even more surprised was the bloke who had originally planted it in the wrong place using a crane).

I worked for BT in various roles before joining the railway. One of my favourites was the pole gang doing all the jobs the polecat couldn't get to. My gang foreman was ex S&T at Hitchin  and would regale stories putting up signals by hand. We are spoilt nowadays with a near fifty ton RRV coming out to help us... But when you have to handle something like this nothing else will do.

C449EAEA-6964-49BD-A516-0D6CA983C90F.jpeg

Edited by LNERGE
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for drifting slightly off topic, but to echo Mike's (@The Stationmaster) comment re the "gang with ropes", when renewing telegraph poles, ropes and 3 or 4 of men was all that was necessary, indeed manual labour was the only way it could be done (no space for a crane even if we had one). Digging a "stepped hole" (to correct depth), cutting the pole to correct length (cut from the top not the bottom), fit the tin-hat, arms, spindles, pots etc., then raise the pole up through the wires (orientated so the arms were perpendicular to the route when the pole was vertical), then turn the pole through 90 degrees. Transfer the wires from old pole to new. Saw off the arms on old pole, attach rope to old pole and saw off at ground level. Lower old pole down through the wires on to the ground. If adjacent to farm land, usually the farmer(s) were glad of the old poles as they would cut them up and re-purpose them as make-shift gate posts.

Ah, happy days!

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been out to collect this today. No I’m not loosing the plot. I know it’s GW but it may be useful. I have a few gangers instruments tucked away too. If it can all be made to work it may help with line blockages etc. 

D9E69DCC-48FC-42CD-8B10-ADFC2659A6FD.jpeg.8495102fc24114a763a82796c1db0633.jpeg

Edited by LNERGE
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

There's a hole in the ground next to the track.

There will have to be a committee to look in it.

Years ago I went to a site meeting of what could loosely be called 'a committee' which had the sole purpose of looking into a hole.  

The hole had been dug in connection with the extension of Port Talbot panel building and the diggers of the hole had found a cable.   So a meeting was convened to try and ascertain whose cable it was and the following were represented BR S&T Dept, BR ODM people who dealt with electricity supplies,  BT Docks Board (whose land was adjacent), British Steel (whose land was nearby), the Electricity Board, and British Telecom (although it was obviously a power cable).  Everybody said that they'd consulted all their plans and could find no record of the cable nor did they think they had anything in the vicinity it could be connected to - which pleased the Foreman hole digger who promptly leapt into the pit and set about trying to cut through the cable with a mattock. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

I've had something similar during a level crossing renewal. Loads of people came for a look and denied it was anything to do with them. We opted to scratch away along it's route to trace it. In one place we dug down and there was this pesky pipe, right in line.. with a grease nipple sticking out the top. A superbly engineered pipe with a rod for the former gate locks inside.

Edited by LNERGE
  • Like 5