RMweb

Richmond, NER

Combining about three topics here, my Seahouses project has taken over from Brampton Town as my first O gauge model and I now have a kit for an H2  to build and use as the 1920s hired motive power to supplement my H / Y7. Talking of the North Sunderland's motive power, one advantage of modelling Seahouses is the interesting variety of engines, along with some eclectic rolling stock that was used on what was very modest little railway - one can easily build everything that was owned or hired by the North Sunderland. 

Edited by CKPR
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 17/09/2022 at 15:11, henkholland said:

Hi

Can anyone tell me what model platform lamp was on the platform in Richmond in 1948. I have looked at many photos but I cannot find out in which year the lamps were changed.

This picture is dated 1947

20220928_110434.jpg.e791396a4fdf856e4589866eca08c0e2.jpg

These were the lamps employed on the extended platform, IIRC Grouping era. This is the latest dated picture I know of showing them. 

The later style appear to have been installed at some point prior to 11/1958, when a locos pictured besides them was withdrawn. The loco number means it cannot have been pictured there prior to 02/1949.

I guess your conundrum is which style pertained in 1948.

I don't know, but I'd go for the earlier style as the most likely.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, micklner said:

The G5 was renumbered by the LNER to 7309 from May 1946.

https://www.brdatabase.info/locomotives.php?loconum=7309

Thanks. So that supports the date given, 1947.

The potentially earliest picture I have seen showing the new lamps includes an A8. That was the loco I referred to, No.69892, bearing the old lion and wheel totem given a BR number in 2/49 and withdrawn 11/58, bracketing the photograph's date range. So, even if you assumed the photograph was taken immediately following the application of a BR number, as opposed to any time up to a decade later, that leaves no evidence of the new lamps older than 02/49.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello
Because many photos are no longer visible in RM web, I want to share with you some photos of my railway Richmond branch with this contribution.
Rails are from Fleischmann, not so nice, but they will do the job, the rest is homemade.
Buildings made of cardboard and paper, signals DIY with LEDs.
Everything is manually operated by means of levers
Also, the turntable.
The level crossing is Arduino controlled.
For the train control, I use the program engine driver.

20230111_123149.jpg

20230111_123220.jpg

20230111_123229.jpg

20230111_123330.jpg

Edited by henkholland
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Without checking dimensions, off the top of my head, I would suggest you need to shorten the front platfom, bringing the buffer beam nearer the smokebox, and move the bogie centre forwards, shortening the back end a bit.

thank you for the information to convert a Dapol M7 into a G5.
I am very interested in this and have already searched for drawings of a G5.
On the web I find drawings of Connoisseur models
which are useful.
The problem is how do I find a Dapol G5 to study whether a conversion is possible.
Here in Holland there is nothing to be found so whether this idea has a chance of success is very small as it looks now.

• Friendly/supportive 2

8 hours ago, henkholland said:

thank you for the information to convert a Dapol M7 into a G5.
I am very interested in this and have already searched for drawings of a G5.
On the web I find drawings of Connoisseur models
which are useful.
The problem is how do I find a Dapol G5 to study whether a conversion is possible.
Here in Holland there is nothing to be found so whether this idea has a chance of success is very small as it looks now.

Buy it now Listing

However, a Newly Tooled Version appears to be on the way.

Vital statistics: 

M7

Coupled wheels: 5'7"

Trailing wheels: 3'7'

Wheelbase: 7'6" + 9'7" + 6'6"

Length over buffers:

- Long overhang series:  36'3"

- Sort overhang series:   35'  0 1/4"

Class O/G5

Coupled wheels: 5' 1 1/4"

Trailing wheels:  3' 1 1/4"

Wheelbase:  7'9" + 9' + 5'9"

Length over buffers:  35' 9 3/4"

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Just tried to find a drawing on the Isinglass site, but failed. (I don't find it the easiest site to navigate.)

There are drawings on page 73 of Ken Hoole's 'Illustrated History of LNER Locomotives', and as fig 8.4 on page 114 of North Eastern Record Volume 3.

(Unfortunately my scanner is not working at the moment. The software has decided it is out-of-date, and cannot be updated.)

Perhaps someone else could help you?

Many years ago, before I tried to build kits, I did attempt to convert an old Hornby (or possible Triang) M7, but that's a long story!

Wishing you all the best with your model.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, drmditch said:

Just tried to find a drawing on the Isinglass site, but failed. (I don't find it the easiest site to navigate.)

There are drawings on page 73 of Ken Hoole's 'Illustrated History of LNER Locomotives', and as fig 8.4 on page 114 of North Eastern Record Volume 3.

(Unfortunately my scanner is not working at the moment. The software has decided it is out-of-date, and cannot be updated.)

Perhaps someone else could help you?

Many years ago, before I tried to build kits, I did attempt to convert an old Hornby (or possible Triang) M7, but that's a long story!

Wishing you all the best with your model.

I can scan those both if rrequired, but I don't think they add much to what you already have.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, drmditch said:

Unfortunately, checking the most recent Isinglass catalogue that I’d downloaded, he doesn’t do a drawing for the Class O/G5 - a strange omission. I checked my Railway Modeller online archive and a construction article from the 2000s references the Ken Hoole book drawing quoted above as the best source, so I suspect that’s your best bet, plus the booklet you have found.

“Rue d’Etropal” does a 3D printed body shell for the G5 in a variety of configurations via his shop on Shapeways - his website is here as tats a bit easier to search than Shapeways.  I believe his loco body shells are designed as straight miniatures I.e. not designed to fit any rtr chassis and not designed with any specific motorising method in mind, so some ingenuity on your part would be required!

RichardT

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 5 months later...