Hornby 9F Problems = HELP !!

I have a Hornby 9F, actually i have 2, but, the one im having trouble with, i thought was a green 92220 but when i took it apart to paint it black, i discovered the body is actually black and been painted green, so im going to strip it to find out whats really under there...

anyway, the problem im having is having replaced the body, the loco wheels now only do 1/2 a rotation and then lock, took the body off again, studied everything under a magnifyer, but can't find anything, when pushed from the tender she still only does 1/2 a rotation and locks, gently laying hands on the loco and trying it, there is no locking up, i tried adding 30g in weight, no change, so now im out of ideas, does anybody have any ideas, somebody suggested the quartering is out, if it is i cant see it, please does anybody have any ideas how to solve this and what the issue is please ??:scratchhead:

Edited by Holby Railway
spelling

Tender drive?  There are at least three versions of this chassis.  I would check the valve gear, the valve rods , the top ones sometimes get squeezed inwards and foul the Connecting (piston) rods. Look at the bottom and make sure the rods all clear as you turn the wheels.

It may also be possible to put the wheels in wrong so the coupling rods lengths are wrong but the slop in the chassis and rods lets it turn with weight on but skid without.  Second thoughts a bit of lead flashing curled up in the boiler might fix it.   The original Evening Star had 6 wheel drive tender drive and 10 wheel pick up and was addicted to powering around the layout with wheels locked solid. Later ones had 4 wheel 2 traction tyre drive and no pickups and were better but the wheels still locked occasionally on sharp curves.  We had 4 Evening Stars at one time, all different.  One left  Railroad loco drive chassis Late Tender drive body, won't pull the rice off a skin pudding, and we have 2 early 6 wheel drive very very powerful. Makes the track filthy with traction tyre gunge.   Can't win. 

Check the return crank. If it is bent in slightly, it catches every half rotation. With the built-in slop, it sticks out more proud than on other models which makes it susceptible to handling. (Check the screw is tight and that the crank pin has not turned in the boss, it is shouldered to fit in the rear of the wheel to fit in the correct position.) I would suggest cleaning the axle slots of all oil to ensure the bearings seat correctly. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, 33C said:

Check the return crank. If it is bent in slightly, it catches every half rotation. With the built-in slop, it sticks out more proud than on other models which makes it susceptible to handling. (Check the screw is tight and that the crank pin has not turned in the boss, it is shouldered to fit in the rear of the wheel to fit in the correct position.) I would suggest cleaning the axle slots of all oil to ensure the bearings seat correctly. 

thanks for that, ill check it and see........

Sounds like a bent valve gear problem, probably caused by inadvertently holding the loco by the wheels while juggling the body back on.

Apropos of nothing, another lock up problem can occur specifically with R2880 where mazak rot in the tender chassis stops all the tender wheels rotating. As it's a loco drive model, it's remarkable that even with the tender brakes on, the loco will still make good progress!

Hi all,

I had a similar probem with a Hornby 9F. It turned out to be mazak rot in the engine chassis itself. It was causing distortion to the valvegear. Ended up having to buy a replacement chassis. The easy way to check if the chassis is distorting is to take the wheels out and put a steel ruler against the chassis sides. Hopefully yours does not have this problem.

Edited by cypherman

Ours do that the permanently connected tender 6 wheel drive 6 traction tyre breed. 

The simple problem is the there is so much drag from the pick ups. If it doesn't click when pushing the loco while pressing down I would oil everything sparingly and or add weight to the boiler.  Triang Hornby changed 9F Britannia and Black 5 to no pickups detachable tender after a very few years which cured the problem and ruined the pulling power.   We have 2 of the oldest UK made they don't suffer Mazak rot, and a Railroad 9F which had to have a class 47 trailing bogie frame fitted to the tender after the tender drive frame (without motor) crumbled to the consistency of granulated brown sugar.

Edited by DCB

• 2 months later...

Thank you all for your help and suggestions, can still find no reason for 92139 NOT wanting to work, everything has been cleaned and checked, but still no good, we have new motion awaiting fitting but, im also told the quartering is out, still cant run him, however

NEW Problem

im looking for a loco powered 9F body condition doesnt matter, it is intended to form the basis of 58100 Big Bertha, can anybody help ??

If you are going to cut it up, get an Kitmaster/Airfix/Dapol 9F kit. Plenty about, 2nd hand, cheap. 

Edited by 33C
Missing letter.
  • Like 1

I guess it should read    " looking for a loco powered 9F,  body condition doesn't matter," 

Everybody want's one. Loco drive runs so much better than the tender drive and the body is a direct swap.   eBay's the obvious place but it won't be cheap (by my standards).   I guess a Patriot body on a 9F chassis might form the basis for passable "Bertha."   If I made one I am sure a Ready to Run version in four different liveries would be available long before I finished.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

On 15/04/2022 at 14:09, DCB said:

I guess it should read    " looking for a loco powered 9F,  body condition doesn't matter," 

Everybody want's one. Loco drive runs so much better than the tender drive and the body is a direct swap.   eBay's the obvious place but it won't be cheap (by my standards).   I guess a Patriot body on a 9F chassis might form the basis for passable "Bertha."   If I made one I am sure a Ready to Run version in four different liveries would be available long before I finished.

not going for a Ba****d the chassis (obtained) is being used as are the wheels, nothing else is kept, the rest is being scratch built by "my guy" starting later this year as he has 2 of mine and 6 others ahead of it, delivery expected in 2024

• 5 months later...
On 15/04/2022 at 14:09, DCB said:

OMG I'm psychic, an RTR Big Bertha in 00 gauge has been announced, in 4 different liveries.  Think I'll stick to freelance.