0-4-0 chassis

Hi all hope you’re well,

I am looking to expand my 009 loco list and I have an Arnold 0-4-0 chassis which says Ibutren cuckoo on the bottom and a Fleischmann 0-4-0 chassis that says piccolo on the bottom (not sure if its the same as the 7000)

I want to pick up a couple of kits from five79, on the kits they list a couple of these and say or similar 

my question is this are all of these chassis largely interchangeable for 009 locos/kits or does it really depend on the individual model, 

the kits I’m looking at are for a freelance bagnall quarry loco and a quarry hunslet

many thanks

Ibertren and Arnold are two different makes, so you must have the Ibertren 'Cuckoo' chassis which is the correct chassis for quite a large range of 009 kits. It has been out of production for a long time and quite sought after because of that, so you're lucky there.

On the other hand Piccolo was a sub-brand name used by Fleischmann for their N gauge range, so that is likely the 7000 chassis if it is an 0-4-0. There are two versions with metal and with plastic frames, both interchangeable.

There is a useful chassis guide on the Dundas Models website.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 27/01/2022 at 11:45, BernardTPM said:

Ibertren and Arnold are two different makes, so you must have the Ibertren 'Cuckoo' chassis which is the correct chassis for quite a large range of 009 kits. It has been out of production for a long time and quite sought after because of that, so you're lucky there.

On the other hand Piccolo was a sub-brand name used by Fleischmann for their N gauge range, so that is likely the 7000 chassis if it is an 0-4-0. There are two versions with metal and with plastic frames, both interchangeable.

There is a useful chassis guide on the Dundas Models website.

Great thanks very much, are there any other more readily available chassis for 009 projects you could recommend? 

There are a lot of 'tram loco' and railcar/small diesel 3D printed kits that fit the Kato 11-109 or 11-110 chassis. The chassis replaced the earlier 11-103 and 110-104 and are almost the same size but offer much better performance than the earlier versions.

There were some kits made for the old Bachmann 'Docksider' or 'Switcher' 0-4-0 chassis, but that has been out of production for a long time. They are also a design that often suffers from split gears. Replacement parts are available from N-Drive who also have a range of chassis they build to order.