Mansfield - a slow burner…

Andy_C

My two sound fitted recent Farish aquisitions. The Standard 5 I’ve had for a couple of weeks. The 2MT was a Christmas present from my wife. Both run lovely out of the box. I’ve just read the instructions (for once) and discovered the F2 breaking feature. Very clever. Means you can let the loco glide to a halt, or bring it to a stop a little sooner - with full sound effects, of course.

Merry Xmas to those reading/following this thread, and more updates to follow in due course. 

IMG_1211.jpeg

Edited by Andy_C
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

Mixed bag of activities this afternoon (clear run as Mrs C poorly 😷).

3 more Dapol signals installed. I thought I’d install them before ballasting this time, now I’ve got more confident and practiced ballasting.

Next was researching the new Bachmann DCC 6 pin chip with F2 braking capability, as I need a new chip for my final loco delivery for a while - a lovely Black 5. 2 chips ordered, as I’d like to try one in a diesel 6pin loco as well. Nice that Bachmann make no secret their 6pinDCC chips are Zimo. Good to know. 

Finally, I interrogated the CV settings that the 2MT came with, and had an experiment with the settings on a 2nd hand Fowler 4MT that I acquired at Barnsley. CV programming is a work in progress. 

IMG_0081.jpeg

IMG_0082.jpeg

Edited by Andy_C
  • Like 2

Bachmann 6pin chip with F2 added to the Black Five. Lovely runner again. The chip comes pre programmed with cv 3 and 4 set at 30. I’ll play with that more once the loco has been run in.

The Fowler 4F also has had it’s CV 29 adjusted, so it now runs in the right direction as per my controllers.

IMG_1221.jpeg

• Like 2

Diesel motive power, today. Last running session before ballasting part II commences. The diesel shed foundation concrete will get a little tidy up and touch up as well.

I completed the initial CV inventory for all my motive stock. Three steam loco’s require further attn - all 2nd hand. 2 will probably end up at Bachmann service. I had good results from two standard 5’s I sent to them last year, so am ok with the fee and expectations. 

Programming the acceleration/decelleration CV’s produced some interesting variables. I’m beginning to realise what I already knew, in that one make of DCC chip isn’t necessarily as good as another. Zimo, Bachmann(Zimo anyway) and a couple of other brands seem good. 

January’s tasks including carefully ballasting around the Dapol signals on the sidings side, and then painting the station side track. 

IMG_0123.jpeg

IMG_0121.jpeg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Will you be using Redutex brick papersover a card frame and have you sourced suitable windows?

It's an option.

I have spare window frames from the shed itself, plus some other bits, but want to make the building look sufficiently 'added-on' and different. Trying to actually match it to the main shed could prove very problematic?

I've acquired some brass etch frames etc from N Brass locos, but since then have also found that York Model Rail do some suitable frames. A topic for discussion...

This weekend saw some measuring and cutting of Revoco Redutex for platform surfaces, plus raising the heights to get the platforms to meet the platform edges. I'll need to order some more Redutex to complete platform 2/3 etc, but as a surface to weather/paint and work with, I like it.

Platform 2 14-1-24.jpg

Platform 1 14-1-24.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

I had a great day helping out at Mansfield.

We tackled some of the outstanding jobs... ballasting and basic scenery foundations. Here are some (poor) photos sorry about these, something to do with my camera.

Ballasting of Kirkby sidings is now almost complete. The Dapol signals have been planted and carefully bedded in. Weathering the ballast will wait until the landform has been finalised.

20240120_201243.jpg.26cda176a46d1f2ab4e9e2f18d561017.jpg

D1624, a detailed and resprayed Farish model is pictured leaving Kirkby Summit tunnel and resting on the site of the 'new' diesel servicing shed.

a1.jpg.9646c81fd7dd33f512034c238999b662.jpg

20240120_201219.jpg.5efea8931c91585131e0785065b39693.jpg

Thanks Andy for letting me loose on your model. Thanks also for your advice and time explaining some of the complexities of DCC.

• Like 4

Also on Saturday we looked at ensuring the goods platform adjacent to P1 would look as much like the original as we could, bearing in mind the physical constraints in operation. So a little shaving of P1 itself to allow the ramp down. You'll also see the buffer that is part of the ramp. A search is underway for a suitable buffer. Perhaps a repurposed Proses one might suffice. We will see. If any readers have a buffer make suggestion, let me know?

We also discussed how vehicular access would get to both sheds. More on that in the future, but a good compromise was achieved.

Thanks as always for Duncan's friendship, and sage advice and support.

Yesterday I removed the hill, and painted the track with Phoenix Precision Rusty Rails. I got a fair bit done, actually - all the way round to the 1st set of double slips south of the station scene. I aim to paint all the track on the station side next, apart from the main goods yard sidings. They can wait until I decide on the actual size and shape of what was a very large goods shed.

I also realised I need access to inside the tunnel to clean the track. That will need some further deliberations.

View showing buffer stop etc.JPG

Edited by Andy_C
Correcting typo errors!
  • Like 1

Today's sessin was fiddly bits! Painting track, priming the coping stone (1/2 circle 2.5mm plastruct) for the retaining walls of the coaling stage, and the blue doors for the diesel shed.

Oh, and the platform ramp for P1 entrance. Only need one - see above post from last week.

Rusty station rails  etc 27-1-24.jpg

Doors etc 27-1-24.jpg

Edited by Andy_C
  • Round of applause 1

I gave a 'round of applause' to your last post, because of the attention to detail and care taken in the building of your model. I know it takes time but in my experience it will be worthwhile, a great looking and reliable operating model

Cheers

Duncan 

• Friendly/supportive 1

No photos from this weekend in terms of my project, but took several photos at the Doncaster show. These were mainly viaducts and housing, for future reference. Purchased a few bits from Squires whilst there, but resisted the urge to buy more rolling stock. 

Last night I ballasted the inside of the tunnel - Kirkby side - with woodland scenics ballast. The same brand was used for the start of the viaduct. My aim is to mix that ballast with the chinchilla sieved ballast, which I like the colour of very much. The WS ballast will stop abruptly, and the chinchilla ballast will then continue - replicating replacing a stretch of ballast/line etc. The viaduct at Mansfield looked this way, according to several photos I have. I thought it would look different, as well. 

Today, whilst waiting for the paint to dry in the half-decorated kitchen, I fitted three more Dapol home signals and wired them up. Why didn’t I buy a crimping tool earlier?😏

Somewhat ‘battered’ concrete shed concourse touched up, plus the Dapol signals from yesterday DCC’d…

08 for cosmetic purposes…

Diesel shed doors, coping stone foundation plastruct for the coaling stage, and platform ramp for P1/goods platform further painted. 

9DF27596-C039-4F41-8F53-374741C2FB74.jpeg

IMG_0368.jpeg

53359988-9347-4591-8C3F-BAF7193FE788.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

More ballasting, plus cleaning out points from ballast laying that had dried. No point motor foul ups this time. Phew.

A couple more solid sessions should have the main areas done. I'm not doing the station area fully until I've weathered the platform edges. The goods yard will be a seperate stage, and I'll start that once I've an idea of where things are going within there i.e. goods shed, goods yard entrance building, cattle dock and small engine shed etc...

view from south to stn ballasting 3-3-24 higher view.jpg

Edited by Andy_C
  • Like 3

Hey all.

Just stumbled across this site and this thread trying to decide upon a subject model for a layout. I'm from Mansfield and was looking round local stations for inspiration and found this. It's given me a lot of food for thought as I seem to be having the same difficulties in deciding as you did to start. Can't seem to find any decent maps of the GCR Station layout either which may help me make up my mind.

Anyway, great work! It looks awesome and seems to be coming along really nicely. I'll be keeping a close eye on progress.

BTW - I can't see a lot of the earlier jpgs on the post... do they only last for so long?

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, gingerangles said:

BTW - I can't see a lot of the earlier jpgs on the post... do they only last for so long?

There was a problem with the site host, and many of the pictures were lost. Hopefully, a new host means that anything uploaded will stay put now!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

There was a problem with the site host, and many of the pictures were lost. Hopefully, a new host means that anything uploaded will stay put now!

Ah I see... thanks for letting me know.

53 minutes ago, gingerangles said:

Hey all.

Just stumbled across this site and this thread trying to decide upon a subject model for a layout. I'm from Mansfield and was looking round local stations for inspiration and found this. It's given me a lot of food for thought as I seem to be having the same difficulties in deciding as you did to start. Can't seem to find any decent maps of the GCR Station layout either which may help me make up my mind.

Anyway, great work! It looks awesome and seems to be coming along really nicely. I'll be keeping a close eye on progress.

Hi there,

My research has cost me quite a bit of dosh! In all seriousness, if you need any station maps of the Town (current) station, PM me? As you are local, I can always do Costa if easier!

My interpretation will contain many original features, but with some artistic licence to aid functionality and make it more of a 'model' than a 'toy', hopefully.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The 1st photo shows bubbling after PVA'ing the ballast to the siding next to P3. I'ver no idea why this happened at all. All glues, alcohol mixtures used were the same as before. It did settle back down after 24 hours, so thankfully will only need a bit of remedial work.

The 2nd image is of the ballasted track between P1 and P2. The track hasn't been cleaned off, or any stray bits of chinchilla sand removed yet. I tend to do that at the end of the ballasting of a section or area. I'm very pleased with how this has turned out, as the track ballast for the original stn was flat like this. I may need to add a little very fine sand in before weathering, but for now this is ok.

The third photo is of the point work, just ballasted, feeding the entrance to the goods sidings at Mansfield. The original diagrams didn't have a loop around the stn in this way. This loop has been added to aid running and functionality. The gaps in the woodwork are where Belvedere St Bridge will be modelled. I've left a bit of latitude as to how this will look. The wood may need cutting further to get closer to the track work - again another TTBD.

Not far off the station side ballasting being completed, now. Another couple of good sessions should sort it.

I then intend to look at the station platforms, and weather them pre fitting. The track weathering will then dirty the platforms and edges up even more.

11-3-24 bubbles under the ballast.jpg

11-3-24 ballasting p1 and 2 initial.jpg

11-3-24 loop and goods yard entrance points.jpeg

Edited by Andy_C
  • Like 2

A quick photo of the tip/railway room. I'll tidy it down again once the ballsting of the station board is complete. I can't run anything anyway, whilst ballasting, as all my point motor rod holes are covered...

11-3-24 overview.jpg

• Like 2