DCC Concepts Powerbase - benefits on flat track

• RMweb Gold

Apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I'm at the track laying stage for my current layout of which stage 1 is an oo-sf recreation of pre-preserved Ropley. I have previously had issues with the pulling power of locos such as the M7 and am wondering if it's worth installing DCCConcepts Powerbase under the flat track as well as the inclined to improve the haulage / pickup etc.

Does anyone have any experience of this and can mention the level of advantage - if there is one? It would equate to about £150 additional costs I think.

Many thanks in advance,

I used it in part on the flat.  It was effective in pulling the locos to it with the attached magnets.  It was quite useful after the engines had left the top of a ramp in keeping traction.

The cost, side effects of having powerful magnets under the locos collecting ferrous material, the necessity to remove brake rigging on steam locos, and fit spacers or brass saddles to get the the magnets to sit just above the rail head, and on small locos with curved chassis mouldings,  lack of space, detracted so much from the experience I removed them all, binned the scrap, and relaid the track to a different  profile.  YMMV , and it did certainly improve tractive effort.

regards

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the replies. I bought a pack before I saw the last reply and sadly will be reselling it. 

Powerbase seems a great idea and I know lots like it but bizarrely every single plate has been stamped with the DCC concepts logo. This means that every top has indented letters but every base has the protruding letters which means the base rocks when laid down on the baseboard or foam. It seems impossible for me to get them to lie flat and I can’t hammer the logo out of each one so will be selling on. Seems bizarre to add a logo to something that negatively impacts its performance and will never be seen as it’ll be covered in track and ballast - but I’m sure there are reasons. 

I’ve read that lots of people like them a lot so they must work but not for me on conclusion so I’ll just pack each loco with lead instead and hope for the best! 

image.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 1

I found the plates themselves fairly useless for the same reasons as Harry. The magnets were another matter though, with two fitted my Bachmann Jubilee will pull 9 Mk1s up a 1 in 50ish gradient. As this will all be on the hidden section, instead of the plates I will be using a bit of 1.5mm piano wire stapled in the 4 foot. The curved mouldings over the gears on the driving axle are an issue though. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1