problems paneling the tumblehome on a carriage, Fusion 360

I'm hoping some one here cold help point out to me, where I am going wrong.

I am  have issues getting the panels the right depth for the Tumble home on a GWR coach.

the first image is what I get if using the method Carl shows on, 3D Drawing for Model Railways You tube.

the second is when using the intersect command, when the paneling ribs show but the end of the coach dissapears.

Capture coach panelling.PNG

Capture coach panelling intersect.PNG

Extrude won't work because it will, as you can see, create a flat face. To get it to do what you want to do you need to split the beading at the same place where the tumblehome radius starts and do two extrudes, one on the flat bit and the other on the curved. You can't use 2 faces on differing planes for an extrude to or from an object. better extruding to an object rather than 

Intersect is working correctly as well - a Boolean intersect deletes anything that isn't in the overlap zone between two solids. What you could do is copy and paste the body where it is, and intersect the beading with the copy and then combine the resultant beading with the original un beaded body.

You could also try the emboss command which ought to work well enough for this. 

Edited by Quarryscapes
  • Like 1

To use emboss you need to make sure that your beading sketch for the tumblehome part uses the actual arc segment circumference rather than the vertical distance, otherwise it won't work properly, this is a straight project of the side with a bead all round. 

2101169294_emboss2.JPG.7393c53ce2d55fffdc4bccd34265bee0.JPG

emboss.JPG.623812c6f3590ac1e3beea1054e2653d.JPG

But use the correct length and it will be fine - use the inspect command to get the length of the arc

1112501179_emboss3.JPG.ccf2afe72a3b0f12abcb8f077994a553.JPG

et voila!

670714769_emboss4.JPG.1036561ebe33559830969450dfdcddbe.JPG

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Quarryscapes said:

Extrude won't work because it will, as you can see, create a flat face. To get it to do what you want to do you need to split the beading at the same place where the tumblehome radius starts and do two extrudes, one on the flat bit and the other on the curved. You can't use 2 faces on differing planes for an extrude to or from an object. better extruding to an object rather than 

Intersect is working correctly as well - a Boolean intersect deletes anything that isn't in the overlap zone between two solids. What you could do is copy and paste the body where it is, and intersect the beading with the copy and then combine the resultant beading with the original un beaded body.

You could also try the emboss command which ought to work well enough for this. 

thanks for your comments, I was thinking this morning that a copy and paste might work, with the intersect command, will give it a try.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry, wrong name for the operation was given. It is split body, not face. 

1. draw the tumblehome part. I drew the end elevation on the right plane and extruded it to make the shape shown.

2. draw the panelling shape as a closed sketch -I drew this rectangle on the front face in this case. I needn't have drawn the outer rectangle.2.png.efa7a43706f5e343127975d0a1af312d.png 3. Use the modify - split body command and pick the tumblehome part as the body to be split and then the panel shape as the splitting tool.3.png.69c3dfcb3f40da8950a12d664b1ed4ae.png

4. Use the press/pull command to push in the panel or pull out the panel depending on how you drew it. The tool - right under the word sheet - selects the correct method automatically. It selected 'offset faces' in this case. 4.png.7afcb8900a1c999d5a7adc257185c634.png

Hope that helps,

Cheers, Ian Mac

Edited by ianmaccormac
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, ianmaccormac said:

1. draw the tumblehome part. I drew the end elevation on the right plane and extruded it to make the shape shown.

2. draw the panelling shape as a closed sketch -I drew this rectangle on the front face in this case. I needn't have drawn the outer rectangle.2.png.efa7a43706f5e343127975d0a1af312d.png 3. Use the modify - split body command and pick the tumblehome part as the body to be split and then the panel shape as the splitting tool.3.png.69c3dfcb3f40da8950a12d664b1ed4ae.png

4. Use the press/pull command to push in the panel or pull out the panel depending on how you drew it. The tool - right under the word sheet - selects the correct method automatically. It selected 'offset faces' in this case. 4.png.7afcb8900a1c999d5a7adc257185c634.png

Hope that helps,

Cheers, Ian Mac

thanks Ian

I will give this a try in the morning, the move, copy and paste method worked, but this maybe a little less work.

• Thanks 1

On 02/02/2022 at 21:57, ianmaccormac said:

Hope that helps,

Cheers, Ian Mac

This is a very long winded way of achieving an emboss. Emboss is the quickest way to achieve this, just needs a little extra brain work in the sketch to take account of the tumblehome radius, then it's one command.

I had the same problem. I referred to Carl White video lesson 19. Played it through several times, without success. Then I put the offset plane INSIDE the sketch used the THIN Extrude tool and from OBJECT and the sketch extruded following the tumblehome out. Hope this is of some help

Kerry in Oz