RMweb

Mixing BR Mk2 coaches

cages_cage

You can find plenty of photos of mixing coaching stock on sites like Flickr 

BR Class 82 82005 with empty coaching stock passing Kensal… | Flickr

Sorry if the link doesn't appear to be working ?

Edited by anroar53

The original Mk2 series (also known as Mk2z) were built as vacuum braked.  Mk2a onwards had air brakes.  So these types could never run in the same train, except for the Mk2z converted to air braking for the Glasgow-Edinburgh service.  

• Informative/Useful 1

19 minutes ago, anroar53 said:

On this site you can't just paste a link into the text.  Use the link button that appears when you compose a message.  

9 hours ago, cages_cage said:

Hello,

I was wondering how much mixing (if any) happened between the several types of Mk2 coaches (A/B/C/D/E/F) happened in train formations. I have some Hornby Mk2Es and Mk2Fs, but I am unsure if they should be running together in the same train.

At various times and at various locations you could find a mix of Mk2s. So the ECML in the 1970's you could find Mk2a, Mk2d, e and f together. On the WCML in the late 1980's you could regularly find Mk3a, Mk2f and Mk2c on Euston services but Mk2e and f (plus Mk2d BFKs etc ) on cross country services.

The  mix of Mk2a, b and c depended on the location.  For example transpennine north services had a different mix of types than the NSE services from Waterloo to Exeter. If you are modelling 1988 onwards the Platform 5 stock book has the sector pool codes so you can see what ran together.

In addition to the Edinburgh to Queen Street Mk2z mentioned above, the SR Mk2z FKs were air braked (and ETH only) and a few Mk2a FK and BFK were converted to vac brakes. Depending on your time period its worth noting that some of the early Mk2z FK were steam heat only so limited their use.

• Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, cages_cage said:

Hello,

I was wondering how much mixing (if any) happened between the several types of Mk2 coaches (A/B/C/D/E/F) happened in train formations. I have some Hornby Mk2Es and Mk2Fs, but I am unsure if they should be running together in the same train.

Right up until replaced by Voyagers, the CrossCountry Mk2 sets were a mix of 2E and 2F types to give an example.

In earlier years, depending on route and local allocations of course, mixes of even pressure vent and air-con Mk2s was by no means rare particularly on second rank services and particularly around the periods when stock cascades happened.

An idea of the location/services you are seeking to model would help in providing more relevant examples to you.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

In general the the pressure ventilated Mk2a-c would run mixed together whilst the air-con Mk2d-f would run together. The Mk2a-c being cascaded down to regional trains following the building of the air-con Mk2s.

From what I've seen, when mixed in a train you'd normally see air-con for first class, and pressure ventilated for second. That's not to say that random mixes didn't occur - they certainly did.

The other thing to watch out for is the regional allocations - Mk2d predominately went to the BR(E) region for example.

5 hours ago, anroar53 said:

Pasting the link usually means the Forum imports the picture directly. I think this is the image you're talking about:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/86020500@N06/14012067912/in/photolist-nmcvBN-fhpAoE-ag6u4A

BR Class 82 82005 with empty coaching stock passing Kensal Green, 30th. April 1987.

Steven B

• Informative/Useful 1