The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Yucca Plants

SamThomas

• RMweb Premium

A picture would be helpful.

Assuming it is outdoors cut level with the soil  drill as many holes as you can about10 inches deep break out as much wood as you can without breaching the sides fill the hole with diesel place a heavy slab over it and leave for 6 months. My experience was a eucalyptus tree...

Mick   

I finally did for the feral sycamore that was threatening my yuccas. Having cut it to just above ground level, I cut another slice. I then bored a 25mm hole as deep as I could and filled it with a glycosulphate weed killer and glued the slice back on.

No resurrection, no come back, gotcha Lazerus.

• Agree 1

They are pretty resilient. When we moved here 15 years ago we brought two small potted yuccas and planted them in the west facing front garden. Despite the winds and rain blowing across the fields, within a couple of years they were 3metres tall helping to screen a busy road. I was most disappointed when they succumbed to the hard frost of 2010 and having cleared the rotten trunk and leaves left the stumps to be dealt with when the weather improved. By spring each stump had thrown up three new shoots, each of which is now three metres tall. They now flower spectacularly and provide a must have seed attracting a murmation of starlings in the autumn. I just hope they survive the next frost now that the garden lady has cut back all the dead leaves.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1