misshapen wheels on Bachmann Mayflower!

AsherWhite

• RMweb Premium

Assuming it’s a B1 named Mayflower it’s an old model with a split chassis. If its model number starts with 31- then it’s from about twelve years ago and is out of warranty, and I’d be very surprised if it’s been on a retailer’s shelf since then, so it’s almost certainly second hand.

If second hand and bought mail order from a shop, if they didn’t advise you of the problem you can get a refund. 
If you bought it online, depending on which site you bought it from you may be able to get a refund, or you could be stuck with it.

Repair option

Without seeing a picture of the damage it’s impossible to determine if it can be repaired, from your basic description it sounds unlikely. As it’s a split chassis model, (spares aren’t available) the easy option is buying another one and robbing it for a replacement wheelset, and selling the remaining parts as spares.

Edited by PMP
Addition

In what plane is the wheel misshapen?  I recently had a Bachmann Class 08 which out of the box didn't like the point work on a club layout (which suggested a back to back issue) and it rocked a bit on straight track.  A back to back gauge indicated that whilst the front and rear axles were okay (ie a 14.5mm gauge was a tight fit) the centre axle was wide to gauge (maybe 14.7 mm), but on rotating the axles 180 degrees, the centre axle was even wider to gauge (probably at least 15 mm back to back).  That therefore meant that one of the wheels wasn't perpendicular to the axle, which is what was causing the rocking (which could be interpreted as a misshapen wheel being the cause).  A fellow club member was able to remove the wheel set from the chassis and just push one of the wheels onto the axle and the problem was solved.  Obviously during assembly the wheel wasn't pressed on as far as it should have been.  Might you have a similar issue?

• RMweb Premium
On 07/02/2022 at 22:11, AsherWhite said:

a couple weeks ago I ordered a Bachmann mayflower, Now when I'm looking at it and trying to run it I've realized the wheels have been misshapen!  i tried bending it back with my finger but that did nothing. does anyone know what I should do?

I completely agree with the comments above that you should return the loco for a refund; however if for one reason or another you find yourself stuck with your Bachmann B1 Mayflower, the expanded wheel centres - a common issue on the earlier 'split chassis' B1 models - can be repaired without too much trouble.  I've written about repairing the Bachmann B1 wheels once or twice on RMweb (and the same for the earlier 'split chassis' Bachmann 4MT 4-6-0s that suffer the same issue), but in my opinion the best guide is Silver Sidelines' blog, if you follow this link:

Hope that helps.

Pete T.

Edited by PJT
Added 'split chassis'.
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

If it is one of the older, split axle models, there is a fairly common issue that affects the wheel centres. They have a plastic push fit centre, which covers the wheel boss, spokes and a rim, that is a tight fit into the metal wheel casting. These were coloured depending on the loco livery. Over time, these can expand causing the centre of this moulding to move outwards and foul the coupling rod. I don't know if this is the problem, but I've experienced this on a B1 and an Ivatt tank.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

As an alternative to filing down the perimeter of the plastic wheel / spoke inserts I just removed them from my affected locos. Cut the balance weights out and glue them against the metal spokes. Repaint the wheel and the problem won’t come back. Looks ok from normal viewing distance.