Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

JMRI with Lenz LI-USB using Linux

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Hi again both.

I have found that when I start Decoder Pro and get the error message if I start a second incidence of the program it does work.

This appears to replicate what is happening sometimes on it's own.

I am still concerned that the computer I am using for some reason isn't happy runing Linux (or maybe just Kubuntu 10.04) as I also get screen freezes occasionally (I thought they were a windows speciality!) and have to reboot to continue. It also still sometimes slows down tremendously as I decribed much earlier in these posts.

None this happens when using the same programs on Windows XP SP3 - everything runs fine.

As Linux is supposed to be low on resource requirements it suggests to me something is amiss hardware, or more likely, software wise.

It's interesting that when I posted this problem on the JMRI forum I didn't even get one reply which suggests not many (nobody?) using the same configuration I have!

Maybe as your earlier suggestion I should try a different Linux distro.

All other posts on JMRI have got a response within 24hrs.

Cheers

Keith

When your screen freezes can you still use ctrl+alt+F2 to get to a console session? It may be just your window manager that it freezing up and crashing and the underlying OS is fine. In gnome you can normally use ctrl+alt+backspace to restart the window manager (gui) and you may be able to continue working without a reboot though I haven't tested this under kde which kubuntu will have.

As you're quite new to Linux it may be worth getting Fedora 13 and giving that a bash ( :unsure: ) and you may find it works fine on your hardware and you prefer it anyway..

• RMweb Premium

When your screen freezes can you still use ctrl+alt+F2 to get to a console session? It may be just your window manager that it freezing up and crashing and the underlying OS is fine. In gnome you can normally use ctrl+alt+backspace to restart the window manager (gui) and you may be able to continue working without a reboot though I haven't tested this under kde which kubuntu will have.

As you're quite new to Linux it may be worth getting Fedora 13 and giving that a bash ( :unsure: ) and you may find it works fine on your hardware and you prefer it anyway..

I think I might try that.

I chose Kubuntu after reading a few reviews and it seemed to offer the nearest look to Windows, but I have since seen a few grumbles about the latest incarnation and I am wondering if I should try a different distro.

RE: USB/serial convertors (as used by LI-USB etc) I have noticed that there seems to be a lot of problems with these under Linux, other forums have pages and pages of problems and to me it seems that some versions of Linux are (currently) a bit weak on the use of these. No plug and play here!

I am used to modern Windows driving just about anything straight out of the box maybe with the addition of a little software. Linux seems to be at the point Windows was some years ago when everything seemed to need it's own individual driver installed.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Keith, I could write on for ages and ages about the facts, but I won't ;) Suffices to say that I understand your disappointment, but the problem is not Linux, but the lack of support from the manufacturer of the device you want to connect. In fact, OOTB* Linux supports a vast superior number of hardware then Win-OS ever will. The problem isn't hardware support by Linux, but the Linux support from hardware vendors.

Anyway, try Linux Mint instead. Btw, did you accept Nick's offer to have a look around on your PC and troubleshoot the system on the fly? If you didn't, maybe you should try that before installing a new distro...

*OOTB: out of the box ;)

[edit] I've taken the liberty to ask for further assistance from other experts: http://www.linuxformat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=92112[/edit]

Following on from your comments, does anybody have a working Linux distro using LI-USB with JMRI?

Did it work OOTB, if not what was needed to get it going?

Maybe that's what I should be looking for.

As I said earlier I posted on the JMRI forum without a reply and Kubuntu/Ubuntu forum with a couple of replies including another poor soul with a similar problem with a USB device.

Keith

Hi Keith et al,

On the subject of distributions I run Gentoo and the LI-USB used to work out of the box (not with JMRI but that shouldn't make any difference). Then the product ID used by the LI-USB was removed from the list of supported devices in the FTDI driver. I don't know why this was done however if I had to guess I would say that the ID is probably used by some other device as well and having the serial driver grab the device automatically caused problems for some people. Either way fixing my system was simple enough. That said I wouldn't recommend Gentoo as a distribution for someone new to Linux as it's less of a distribution and more like a set of parts from which a distribution can be assembled and tailored to your specific needs and the specifications of your hardware.

I do think experimenting with a couple of other distributions is not a bad idea. My first recommendation would probably be Ubuntu, as Kubuntu is derived from Ubuntu so it should be reasonably familiar. Ubuntu uses Gnome as its window manager rather than KDE which may help with the slow computer problems you were experiencing as, although it's been a long while since I last used KDE, it was always significantly more resource hungry than Gnome. Otherwise Fedora Core has a good reputation too. I've never tried Linux Mint but it never hurts to try. One major advantage of the Linux business model is that you can experiment to your heart's content.

On the subject of success with USB to serial converters I've never had any real difficulty with making them work with Linux. The biggest source of problems, to my knowledge, is to do with voltage levels. RS232 Serial defines a signal which swings between +15V and -15V. Most USB to serial converters output a signal which swings between +5V and 0V which is not to spec but works well with most devices. Unfortunately a number of pieces of hardware in the model rail field don't support this and thus come unstuck.

I don't really want to get into the details of setting up the SSH connection unless you (Keith) actually decide you want to go for it, but it would probably involve opening a communications channel via an instant messaging service or email and using that to get the connection set up as it's a bit of an involved procedure. The major reason I had for suggesting it is that I feel fairly certain there's something basic that we're missing and I'm hoping that if I can access the system directly that it'll hit me in the face.

As an aside both CTRL+ALT+F2 and CTRL+ALT+Backspace were mentioned as good methods of escaping a dead or dying graphical session. This is very sound advice as both of these are handled by the X server directly (rather than the window manager) they should always work unless X itself is dead or the key sequences have been disabled in the xorg.conf file. CTRL+ALT+Backspace will kill the current session which should allow you to log in again whereas CTRL+ALT+F1...CTRL+ALT+F6 will switch to a text console from which it may be possible to recover from the problem. CTRL+ALT+F7 should take you back to the graphical session afterwards (alternatively F8 on some systems).

On the subject of Linux driver support Dutch_Master has it spot on. Whereas, should a manufacturer decide not to provide a Windows driver for a piece of hardware this could be seen as a rather effective form of corporate suicide, many of them just don't bother supporting Linux. That said the situation is improving on a fairly continuous basis aided both by the fact that developing drivers for the Linux kernel is far easier than for the Windows kernel (I've done both) and determined hardware owners taking up the slack where companies don't.

Should you decide to change Linux distributions, let us know how you get on and if you have any further problems we'll try to help where we can.

Good luck,

Nick

• RMweb Premium

Hi Nick

You mentioned that the product ID for LI-USB was removed from the list. Is there any way the ftdi driver code could be modified to put it back?

I assume the ID's are kept in the EEPROM, could that be altered to an included ID? There seems to be a default ftdi PID of 6001h, could that be used? Or am I grasping at straws?

So far adding a local.conf seems to only partially work.

When I call up the USB vendor ID and product ID the list includes the one for the SPROG, VID=0403h PID=f0c8h presumably that's why that will work (sometimes).

The idea of logging on to my railway room PC to check what is going on is not very practical as it is not next to the modem but is 25m away down the garden and needs a homeplug system to get a internet connection, and there isn't a 'phone.

(I usually log on to RMweb on a different computer!)

Re alternative distros: I have a shortlist, apart from Ubuntu, of Fedora/Redhat, Suse and Mandrake/Mandriva but haven't a clue which would be best for a basic model railway PC as I don't require huge graphic power or large office functions just a stable platform to run JMRI and a few other utils. Thanks for the suggestion of Mint, I'll add that to the list.

I wish the hosting servers they use were a bit quicker, some of the downloads are only 50-60kb second - I get up to 650k from other sites!

Cheers

Keith

Suse is the only distro i've regularly had issues with so my personal view on that one is to avoid it for home use. Most of my issues were with 'corporate' bits like network user authentication and automounting of directories but when they can't get these core bits working consistently..

Yum was a good innovation but other than that i've not found an advantage to Suse compared to the Redhat supported Fedora project.

Make sure you are using your local mirror server for the download if there is one listed.

• RMweb Premium

Suse is the only distro i've regularly had issues with so my personal view on that one is to avoid it for home use. Most of my issues were with 'corporate' bits like network user authentication and automounting of directories but when they can't get these core bits working consistently..

Yum was a good innovation but other than that i've not found an advantage to Suse compared to the Redhat supported Fedora project.

Make sure you are using your local mirror server for the download if there is one listed.

I found some fast mirrors and have now made CD's of Mint, Suse, Fedora and Mandriva as well as my original Ubuntu/Kubuntu.

Fedora seems slightly odd as there doesn't seem to be the normal boot option I would expect on a CD rom.

The experimentation will commence ASAP!

Keith

This CD download should certainly be bootable http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/13/Live/i686/Fedora-13-i686-Live.iso

I normally use the DVD media for Fedora install as it saves downloading so many extra packages.

http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-options#formats

This works pc is a Fedora 13 install that i've upgraded from the original 11 install via 12..

Let us know which one you like in the end.

You may be able to run them all via LiveCD and get the USB connecting via that method.

• RMweb Premium

This CD download should certainly be bootable http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/13/Live/i686/Fedora-13-i686-Live.iso

I normally use the DVD media for Fedora install as it saves downloading so many extra packages.

http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-options#formats

This works pc is a Fedora 13 install that i've upgraded from the original 11 install via 12..

Let us know which one you like in the end.

You may be able to run them all via LiveCD and get the USB connecting via that method.

It did boot from the CD, it just seemed to have a different set of files to the others.

I have loaded Fedora first as a complete install from the CD image. At first glance it seems quite good although it seems to be password heavy. Is there anyway of stopping all these requests for a password whenever I do anything? The one major difference from Kubuntu is that I don't get a Grub screen at the start. It boots straight to Fedora which means I don't have a Windows XP option. The two other hard disks are still shown with their Windows files intact though. Maybe it's something I did during install?

Cheers

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Hi Craigwelsh

Trying out the USB and get this from dmesg:

usb 3-3: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2

usb 3-3: New USB device found, idVendor=0403, idProduct=f0c8

usb 3-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3

usb 3-3: Product: SPROG DECODER PROGRAMMER

usb 3-3: Manufacturer: SPROG DCC

usb 3-3: SerialNumber: feedcode

usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial

USB Serial support registered for generic

usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic

usbserial: USB Serial Driver core

USB Serial support registered for FTDI USB Serial Device

ftdi_sio 3-3:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected

usb 3-3: Detected FT232RL

usb 3-3: Number of endpoints 2

usb 3-3: Endpoint 1 MaxPacketSize 64

usb 3-3: Endpoint 2 MaxPacketSize 64

usb 3-3: Setting MaxPacketSize 64

usb 3-3: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0

usbcore: registered new interface driver ftdi_sio

ftdi_sio: v1.5.0:USB FTDI Serial Converters Driver

usb 2-3: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2

usb 2-3: New USB device found, idVendor=0403, idProduct=d780

usb 2-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0

usb 2-3: Product: LI USB

usb 2-3: Manufacturer: FTDI

ftdi_sio 2-3:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected

usb 2-3: Detected FT232BM

usb 2-3: Number of endpoints 2

usb 2-3: Endpoint 1 MaxPacketSize 64

usb 2-3: Endpoint 2 MaxPacketSize 64

usb 2-3: Setting MaxPacketSize 64

usb 2-3: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB1

Looks promising! Just need to get JMRI to run, I extracted the files as in Kubuntu but itb doesn't do anything.

Is there a diffrent method with Fedora?

PS still no GRUB so no option of booting Windows it goes straight from BIOS to Fedora.

Cheers

Keith

Hi Keith,

Well it looks like Fedora has no difficulty accessing the LI-USB so if you can get JMRI loaded you should be set. I've never tried JMRI so for all I know I could be talking nonsense, but as it's Java based you might have to install a Java runtime as Java isn't directly executable by the CPU.

On the issue of Grub, it (or Lilo) must be there as the Linux kernel can't boot without the assistance of a bootloader program. Most likely the configuration entry for booting Windows XP is just missing and so (having only one option) it skips past the boot menu. If you run ls /boot/grub and ls /etc/lilo.conf then whichever one succeeds is the bootloader you're using. Once that's established, reintroducing support for Windows XP should be simple.

I last used Fedora Core back when it was still RedHat 7 so I can't comment on the password explosion as I don't remember it being that bad back then.

Best of luck for now,

Nick

Fedora uses IcedTea as its default java implementation rather than Sun Java due to the license type. IcedTea probably needs installing via yum as it probably wasn't on the cd install. I can check JMRI in work tomorrow hopefully if I get a minute and the package name for java as well.

There should have been a boot loader configuration page during the gui install of Fedora, I think it uses GRUB by default. You should have been able to add the alternate boot partition at that stage. If you didn't add it in then with only 1 OS it will just boot straight through.

Since earlier RedHat days Fedora and indeed Ubuntu have been trying to get people to avoid running as the root user by default and configuration changes need to be done via sudo. In the gui you do get a password box. You can make a change to allow gui root login but its not really recommended.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Keith,

Well it looks like Fedora has no difficulty accessing the LI-USB so if you can get JMRI loaded you should be set. I've never tried JMRI so for all I know I could be talking nonsense, but as it's Java based you might have to install a Java runtime as Java isn't directly executable by the CPU.

On the issue of Grub, it (or Lilo) must be there as the Linux kernel can't boot without the assistance of a bootloader program. Most likely the configuration entry for booting Windows XP is just missing and so (having only one option) it skips past the boot menu. If you run ls /boot/grub and ls /etc/lilo.conf then whichever one succeeds is the bootloader you're using. Once that's established, reintroducing support for Windows XP should be simple.

I last used Fedora Core back when it was still RedHat 7 so I can't comment on the password explosion as I don't remember it being that bad back then.

Best of luck for now,

Nick

It is still not running LI-USB by default, I had to add the alias into a local.conf and put it in modprobe.d (as in Kubuntu) and it only loads after SprogDCC has been connected, but it is a reliable connexion as it does it every time without fail which it didn't in Kubuntu.

RE Java: I went into packagekit(?) and loaded the full Java suite as it was not reporting a Java version but I don't know if it is all what is required by JMRI as some of the info seems a little confusing.

There is info in the help pages for using Fedora telling of the need of Javacomm RxTx and having to manually load it (quite complicated) to get Fedora to run JMRI, but the release notes for the latest version (2.10) contradict that.

Cheers Keith

• RMweb Premium

Fedora uses IcedTea as its default java implementation rather than Sun Java due to the license type. IcedTea probably needs installing via yum as it probably wasn't on the cd install. I can check JMRI in work tomorrow hopefully if I get a minute and the package name for java as well.

There should have been a boot loader configuration page during the gui install of Fedora, I think it uses GRUB by default. You should have been able to add the alternate boot partition at that stage. If you didn't add it in then with only 1 OS it will just boot straight through.

Since earlier RedHat days Fedora and indeed Ubuntu have been trying to get people to avoid running as the root user by default and configuration changes need to be done via sudo. In the gui you do get a password box. You can make a change to allow gui root login but its not really recommended.

Re: Passwords, I have cottoned on to the fact that it doesn't use sudo by default (username not in sudoers list) but if I just do su it asks for root password and then you can do what you like (more or less!).

Keith

It is still not running LI-USB by default, I had to add the alias into a local.conf and put it in modprobe.d (as in Kubuntu) and it only loads after SprogDCC has been connected, but it is a reliable connexion as it does it every time without fail which it didn't in Kubuntu.

RE Java: I went into packagekit(?) and loaded the full Java suite as it was not reporting a Java version but I don't know if it is all what is required by JMRI as some of the info seems a little confusing.

There is info in the help pages for using Fedora telling of the need of Javacomm RxTx and having to manually load it (quite complicated) to get Fedora to run JMRI, but the release notes for the latest version (2.10) contradict that.

Cheers Keith

Keith,

From JMRI version 2.9.3, now comes with the required of the javacomm rxtx bundled with it, where as previous version required it to be separately installed. The pages that I have come across for installation on Fedora are held on JMRI users own websites rather than on the JMRI website itself, I will try and get hold of those people directly and ask them if they could update their pages.

Otherwise I take it that you have looked at the following link?

http://www.jmri.org/install/Linux.html

Regards

Kevin

bash-4.1$ java -version

java version "1.6.0_18"

OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.8.1) (fedora-42.b18.fc13-x86_64)

OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 14.0-b16, mixed mode)

/usr/local/JMRI/DecoderPro

Worked fine for me, came straight up as does PanelPro. I've not got anything to connect to it though to check it recognises it.

I've got the following installed:

java-1.5.0-gcj.x86_64 1.5.0.0-32.fc13 @updates

java-1.6.0-openjdk.x86_64 1:1.6.0.0-42.b18.fc13 @updates

java-1.6.0-openjdk-plugin.x86_64 1:1.6.0.0-42.b18.fc13 @updates

though you'll want the 32bit ones. You can list via "yum list *java*" and install "yum install java-1.6.0-openjdk-plugin"

• RMweb Premium

Keith,

From JMRI version 2.9.3, now comes with the required of the javacomm rxtx bundled with it, where as previous version required it to be separately installed. The pages that I have come across for installation on Fedora are held on JMRI users own websites rather than on the JMRI website itself, I will try and get hold of those people directly and ask them if they could update their pages.

Otherwise I take it that you have looked at the following link?

http://www.jmri.org/install/Linux.html

Regards

Kevin

Hi Kevin nice to get somebody else involved, the more brains the better!

I have installed JMRI on Fedora after trying on Kubuntu where it work fine but there were issues with the recognition of FTDI devices by the Linux system itself, the product ID of the Lenz LI-USB interface is not in the default list of aliases supported by Kubuntu or Fedora (presumably part of the Linux core) and even with an added alias added to the modprobe folder it only operates (occasionally with Kubuntu!) after connecting a Sprog DCC which does have a product ID in the list.

With Kubuntu I downloaded the Linux version of JMRI and extracted it and that was it. Java was already on the machine from the Linux install and JMRI worked staright away. With Fedora I have all the files extracted in the same way but nothing happens if I click on any of the modules.

Originally there didn't seem to be a Java version loaded so I loaded one use the "add software" utility but i'm not sure it has what JMRI requires.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

bash-4.1$ java -version

java version "1.6.0_18"

OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.8.1) (fedora-42.b18.fc13-x86_64)

OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 14.0-b16, mixed mode)

/usr/local/JMRI/DecoderPro

Worked fine for me, came straight up as does PanelPro. I've not got anything to connect to it though to check it recognises it.

I've got the following installed:

java-1.5.0-gcj.x86_64 1.5.0.0-32.fc13 @updates

java-1.6.0-openjdk.x86_64 1:1.6.0.0-42.b18.fc13 @updates

java-1.6.0-openjdk-plugin.x86_64 1:1.6.0.0-42.b18.fc13 @updates

though you'll want the 32bit ones. You can list via "yum list *java*" and install "yum install java-1.6.0-openjdk-plugin"

Hi again

Java versions show as same as yours:

[pricklypair@localhost ~]$ java -version

java version "1.6.0_18"

OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.8.1) (fedora-42.b18.fc13-i386)

OpenJDK Client VM (build 14.0-b16, mixed mode)

JMRI when extracted is not putting anyfiles into the root directories - e.g. No JMRI folder in usr\local.

Do I need to use a different method than Kubuntu - that just did it.

Keith

I elected to put the JMRI folder in /usr/local when I extracted the tar.gz . You can put it anywhere and run the commands.

cd [a directory where you put the download]

tar -zxvf JMRI.2.10.tgz .

cd JMRI

./DecoderPro

should do it..

If it doesn't work for some reason we should at least see what is going wrong for you printed out to the command line.

By the sounds of it you are clicking on the file in the gui? It might be that Fedora hasn't associated the file type with Java to execute the program. If you run it from the command line however we can see if there is really an issue.

• RMweb Premium

I elected to put the JMRI folder in /usr/local when I extracted the tar.gz . You can put it anywhere and run the commands.

cd [a directory where you put the download]

tar -zxvf JMRI.2.10.tgz .

cd JMRI

./DecoderPro

should do it..

If it doesn't work for some reason we should at least see what is going wrong for you printed out to the command line.

By the sounds of it you are clicking on the file in the gui? It might be that Fedora hasn't associated the file type with Java to execute the program. If you run it from the command line however we can see if there is really an issue.

That's a difference between Kubuntu & Fedora, In Kubuntu you just click on the file and "ark" extracts all the files as required. Nothing else needs to be done.

I have now done as you suggested and it went through fine.

I ended up with a new JMRI folder in my desktop with the appropriate files and the modules will all start OK.

Started Decoderpro, entered my preferences, ttyUSB0 & ttyUSB1 respectively for the two USB devices, saved, it did a restart and guess what: It hadn't saved any preferences and now "No serial ports found!!!"

N.B. dmesg still shows ttyUSB0 & ttyUSB1 active.

I'm baffled.

EDIT I will check it out again as just after I had done the save I got a pop-up to update some files which I did (including Kernel update) maybe that upset it?

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Have tried extracting again, still "no ports found".

Got this message from the message.log file after extraction:

0 apps.Apps INFO - ****** JMRI log ******* [main]

1 apps.Apps INFO - This log is stored in file: messages.log [main]

698 DecoderPro.DecoderPro INFO - DecoderPro version 2.10 starts under Java 1.6.0_18 at Wed Aug 25 09:50:22 BST 2010 [main]

997 apps.Apps INFO - No saved preferences, will open preferences window [main]

1103 progsupport.ProgServiceModePane INFO - No programmer available, so modes not set [main]

3524 throttle.ThrottlesPreferences INFO - Did not find throttle preferences file. This is normal if you haven't save the preferences before [main]

3706 powerpanel.PowerPane WARN - No power manager instance found, panel not active [main]

3706 throttle.PowerManagerButton INFO - No power manager instance found, panel not active [main]

3794 withrottle.TrackPowerController INFO - No power manager instance. [main]

3809 withrottle.ConsistController INFO - No consist manager instance. [main]

3812 hrottle.AbstractWiThrottlePreferences INFO - Could not find WiThrottle preferences file. Normal if preferences have not been saved before. [main]

4872 progsupport.ProgServiceModePane INFO - No programmer available, so modes not set [main]

31652 jmrix.AbstractSerialPortController ERROR - No usable ports returned [AWT-EventQueue-0]

55978 anagers.DefaultUserMessagePreferences INFO - Storing preferences as part of shutdown [AWT-EventQueue-0]

55978 anagers.DefaultUserMessagePreferences INFO - Not allowing save of changes as the user has accessed the preferences and not performed a save [AWT-EventQueue-0]

55980 managers.DefaultShutDownManager INFO - Normal termination complete [AWT-EventQueue-0]

Is there anything there which indicates the problem?

Why did it work once but not now - Help!

I can understand why Linux is supposed to have "A steep learning curve which puts people off" - quote from a Linux mag.

Keith

That's a difference between Kubuntu & Fedora, In Kubuntu you just click on the file and "ark" extracts all the files as required. Nothing else needs to be done.

I have now done as you suggested and it went through fine.

I ended up with a new JMRI folder in my desktop with the appropriate files and the modules will all start OK.

Keith

You can use a gui extractor in Fedora, mine uses File Roller by default but I prefer the command line as in many cases i'll only be working on the machine via an ssh session.

55978 anagers.DefaultUserMessagePreferences INFO - Storing preferences as part of shutdown [AWT-EventQueue-0]

55978 anagers.DefaultUserMessagePreferences INFO - Not allowing save of changes as the user has accessed the preferences and not performed a save [AWT-EventQueue-0]

55980 managers.DefaultShutDownManager INFO - Normal termination complete [AWT-EventQueue-0]

may suggest a permission problem on the directory it puts the preferences in. I'll have a quick look at where that may be.

edit:

Try running:

ls -la $HOME/.jmri

at a command prompt, your settings should be saving to this user preferences directory in your home area.

• RMweb Premium

You can use a gui extractor in Fedora, mine uses File Roller by default but I prefer the command line as in many cases i'll only be working on the machine via an ssh session.

may suggest a permission problem on the directory it puts the preferences in. I'll have a quick look at where that may be.

edit:

Try running:

ls -la $HOME/.jmri

at a command prompt, your settings should be saving to this user preferences directory in your home area.

Thanks for getting back so quickly.

It seems odd that the first time I ran the extract from the command line Decoderpro opened up to the preferences page as expected for a first start and I was given the option for each device of ttyUSB0, ttyUSB1, ttyS1 & ttyS2. I chose the required ones and did a save but just as I did the save I had the pop-up about updates.

I assumed the preferences had been saved and Decoder re-started ( I didn't check thoroughly that it was working correctly). I then closed the program did the update and went back to Decoderpro and that's when I found I had no preferences saved and got the "no ports found" message when I tried to set them up again.

Keith

When you extracted again it would still be looking into $HOME/.jmri for your preferences so its not surprising if you didn't get the setup page the 2nd time.

I don't know enough about JMRI and how it runs to comment further on that it should be doing but you could delete the .jmri directory to flush any existing settings to start from scratch

rm -Rf $HOME/.jmri

Archived