Pre-nationalisation PO wagons seen on the Scarborough & Whitby line - information gratefully received

MarkC

On 15/02/2022 at 11:33, russ p said:

Not seen any photographic evidence of a 110 on the line itself but seen a picture of one at Sleights. 

To digress, in true RMWeb thread drift style, from the wagons again 😁...

There's a photo on FB of a 110 at Bog Hall, signalled for the line up to Prospect Hill. I suggest that this may well have been another of the regular Scenic Special trips, probably on a weekend, when a few sets will have not been required for normal Calder Valley services, and would be available for such duties.

Mark

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

The Transpennine unit suggests to me a Scarborough crew rather than Middlesbrough!

I don't think you had to be specifically trained on them mark . I learnt 110s but never drove one in service just 101s and 108s despite not having any official training on them . I went to neville Hill for DMU training and only units available were 110s

2 hours ago, russ p said:

I don't think you had to be specifically trained on them mark . I learnt 110s but never drove one in service just 101s and 108s despite not having any official training on them . I went to neville Hill for DMU training and only units available were 110s

101s, 108s, 110s and 124s were all Blue Square units, as I recall, so presumably they were similar control systems?

In any case, back then it wasn't difficult to find staff to act as pilotmen, I think?

Mark

• Agree 1