Bachmann Baldwin 10-12-D - starting issues

rynd2it

I have a brand new  Bachmann Baldwin 10-12-D fully sound fitted and have had it thoroughly checked by the supplier they find nothing wrong.

However, I am experiencing some running issues, particularly when starting off. On occasions, the loco will simply lose electrical power and refuse to move with out help from the BHS.  I can tell the electrical contact is lost as the sound stops as well.

This is being tested on a dead flat 2 meter run of brand new Peco OO9 flexi track using an NEC Power Cab for DCC control. I can run the loco back and forth and across a right hand point with no trouble but then all of a sudden it will stop and try to restart. Sometimes it does, sometimes it does not. I have investigated fitting a stay alive but this is next to impossible given the lack of space and I'm not sure it would solve my problems.

I have been informed by other retailers that what I am seeing can be caused by there being too much sideways play on the axles which is resulting in all pickup contact being lost - I  find this very hard to believe given the quality of this model.

Anyone else having similar issues and what can be done about it? Given I live in France, finding a qualified mechanic/technician is difficult, I only know of one and they will only service what they sell.

I have experienced that pick-ups issue on Farish diesel shunters. Once properly adjusted they will run beautifully, but on one I bought only half the pick-ups stayed in contact with the wheels across their full range of side-to-side motion so straight out of the box it was quite poor.

46 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

I have experienced that pick-ups issue on Farish diesel shunters. Once properly adjusted they will run beautifully, but on one I bought only half the pick-ups stayed in contact with the wheels across their full range of side-to-side motion so straight out of the box it was quite poor.

What did you do to correct the problem, I'm very reluctant to mess with it but the retailer is in England and they said they couldn't see anything wrong

I unscrewed the baseplate, removed the wheels, then used long nose tweezers to reshape and add a more pronounced, but still not extreme, curve to each of the pick-up strips, then carefully replaced the wheels. Only one axle has gears so there isn't a gear train to get in line (unlike, say old Minitrix). Put the baseplate back and screwed in place and then checked that contact was now maintained across the whole movement of the axles, side-to-side. You do need good light for that.

Some looked completely flat, like they'd never been shape to make contact.

Worth having a good look before dismantling just to check if all the contact strips work or not first, but I wouldn't be at all surprise if you found at least a couple that only work 'part time'.