Track Cleaning Wagons - specifically 009/N gauge related

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I have quite a selection of OO related cleaning wagons and they all do a different job on OO and together do a good job..... not sure about some of the related (Dapol) cleaning fluids though.......... 

BUT 

my question is what works on 009/N - are the loco engines powerful enough to pull this type of wagon and which products out there really work

poor dexterity around buildings and landscapes mean I cant do the task effectively by hand

Thanks ..........

Edited by halsey

• halsey changed the title to Track Cleaning Wagons - specifically 009/N gauge related

I use a re-gauged Tomix N scale track cleaning vehicle on my German TT layout (see my postings on the German railways section of this website). Apart from an on-board motor with circuit board for the vacuum cleaner and polishing discs the body is packed with cast metal weights to keep the cleaner firmly on the track. For an N scale piece of rolling stock it is remarkably heavy and almost defeats one of my Berliner Bahnen or Piko diesel locos with drive to all 4 or 6 axles on even slight gradients. A Tomix cleaner would need at least double-headed power with weighted locos on 009 - and a perfectly level track, I think. However, that said, the vacuum cleaner function is absolutely brilliant - I would not want to be without it! The original N version picks up power from both bogies, which are not driven, but when I re-gauged the Tomix to TT with Roco bogies (see photo) I altered the power supply from direct pick-up to jumper leads from the loco which pulls or pushes the cleaner. I have equipped two locos with power sockets on the front skirts made from 2mm brass tube for use with the cleaner.

Tomix.jpg

Staubsauger im Einsatz.jpg

Umgebautes Roco-Drehgestell.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I'm just "bumping" this topic as I cant believe there isn't more experience out there that others might benefit from:rolleyes:.

Thanks

J

Edited by halsey