Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Track Cleaning Wagons - specifically 009/N gauge related

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I have quite a selection of OO related cleaning wagons and they all do a different job on OO and together do a good job..... not sure about some of the related (Dapol) cleaning fluids though.......... 

BUT 

my question is what works on 009/N - are the loco engines powerful enough to pull this type of wagon and which products out there really work

poor dexterity around buildings and landscapes mean I cant do the task effectively by hand

Thanks ..........

Edited by halsey

• halsey changed the title to Track Cleaning Wagons - specifically 009/N gauge related

I use a re-gauged Tomix N scale track cleaning vehicle on my German TT layout (see my postings on the German railways section of this website). Apart from an on-board motor with circuit board for the vacuum cleaner and polishing discs the body is packed with cast metal weights to keep the cleaner firmly on the track. For an N scale piece of rolling stock it is remarkably heavy and almost defeats one of my Berliner Bahnen or Piko diesel locos with drive to all 4 or 6 axles on even slight gradients. A Tomix cleaner would need at least double-headed power with weighted locos on 009 - and a perfectly level track, I think. However, that said, the vacuum cleaner function is absolutely brilliant - I would not want to be without it! The original N version picks up power from both bogies, which are not driven, but when I re-gauged the Tomix to TT with Roco bogies (see photo) I altered the power supply from direct pick-up to jumper leads from the loco which pulls or pushes the cleaner. I have equipped two locos with power sockets on the front skirts made from 2mm brass tube for use with the cleaner.

Tomix.jpg

Staubsauger im Einsatz.jpg

Umgebautes Roco-Drehgestell.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I'm just "bumping" this topic as I cant believe there isn't more experience out there that others might benefit from:rolleyes:.

Thanks

J

Edited by halsey