Another eBay class 507/508 merseyrail kit build

Marc d

Decided to buy another 508 kit from eBay after building one 2 years ago during lockdown but this time model it in the yellow and white regional railways livery from the mid 90s. I’ve heard Electrarail had made some vinyl kits so decided to try those rather than painting. The latest kits from eBay are now one piece body shells so even easier to build as there no trimming, filing, gluing, filling and sanding required to join them. 
Progress so far. Vinyls aren’t quite right around the doors and steps so will attempt to trim and shape the vinyls a bit. Next job will be paint the fronts and roof’s

7D7C9CF6-C36E-47C3-AE5D-6F2AC628D627.jpeg

0047AF30-6077-441F-A7D4-E784EF7ACBC1.jpeg

F2BA6497-479A-4DE4-9EBA-79466A559063.jpeg

F5183252-3172-4BD1-81B5-75973DC622C6.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Those one-piece body shells certainly make life easier.  I think with vinyl overlays the only option for a good “wrinkle-free” finish is to remove all surface detailing such as door buttons, lights, window frames and grab rails to create a completely flush surface and then to re-apply them as separate items on top of the vinyl.  It should be possible to trim the vinyls around the door steps.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, 313201 said:

I will be keeping up with this build as I have with previous builds of pep units

Did you see my previous two builds? I built the Ayjay kit and another one of these but painted in br blue/grey

• Like 1

The kit is from eBay and comes with floors, under frame components, bogie side frames and etched window frames. I’ve bought Hornby class 156 bogies and wheels which I’ll cut the side frames off and glue the 507/508 frames on. I think the kit was around £170 

I've got the multi-section kit but I'm looking at getting the one piece bodies. I can't say I'm a huge fan of the cast underframe detail as they're quite rough and detract from the rest of the model. The manufacturer may have upgraded them since I got mine of course as this has all been languishing in the box for at least two years! Personally I'm thinking of making them myself on the 3D printer I haven't used in a while. Hopefully it still works!

I've got a Loksound chip with Legomanbiffo's 507 sound files standing by. Can't wait to get it fired up. I still remember the sound of the compressor of the 507 (That tik-a-tik-a-tik) which was so iconic to me as young lad going to Central or Moorfields from Formby.

Thanks for sending me the pics too by the way.

Mark

• Like 1

On 13/02/2022 at 22:18, Marc d said:

Bit of an update, painted the cab ends this evening. Tomorrow I might have a look at the vinyls and then paint the roof’s. After that it will be glazing and window frames

300649B7-38F5-4B26-AEA1-05E637FE0966.jpeg

05585D72-30DF-43F8-BE58-7CB434D9472F.jpeg

looking great, what paint was used for the roof and yellow fronts?

Are you going to be installing lights? I've started adding them on my build.

I ordered some of the 3rd rail beams you recommended from 3dprinting corner should arrive in the post next week.

look forward to more updates on your build :good:

• Like 1

Hi Steve, I haven’t painted the roofs yet. I’ve got humbrol executive dark grey for the roofs and used humbrol warning yellow for the fronts. I got another two pairs of shoe beams from them this week. No not going to bother with lights, just filled the light holes with humbrol clearfix and I’ve got tamiya clear red I’ll paint onto the clearfix and the headlights I’ll just paint the back of the clearfix with silver. Done the same on my blue 508 and looks ok

• Like 2

On 20/02/2022 at 20:49, Marc d said:

Hi Steve, I haven’t painted the roofs yet. I’ve got humbrol executive dark grey for the roofs and used humbrol warning yellow for the fronts. I got another two pairs of shoe beams from them this week. No not going to bother with lights, just filled the light holes with humbrol clearfix and I’ve got tamiya clear red I’ll paint onto the clearfix and the headlights I’ll just paint the back of the clearfix with silver. Done the same on my blue 508 and looks ok

The resin roof colour looks good to me, hence i thought you'd painted them. the headlights did look good on your 508 build.

im following this build with interest, looking forward to see how you affix your 3rd rail beams.