Gauging interest: Coronation Scot Kit

RBTKraisee

Would there be any interest in a finescale very high quality (far better quality than Shapeways best - see my N gauge County here to see the print quality) 3D printed LMS Streamlined Coronation Scot, based on Heljan A3/A4 running gear, with new front bogie?

It's too early to be certain, but I'm thinking a kit needing running gear might be around £200, and an RTR fully-painted version around £550-650.

It would be followed by a full 9-coach rake of 1937 coaches, and maybe I could also do the 1939 streamlined 8-coach rake too.

Opinions?   Thoughts?

Cheers,

Ross.

spacer.png

Edited by RBTKraisee

I design all my kits initially in 1:1 scale and then I re-scale and add the parts to fit a particular chassis.

I'm already doing a C-Scot in N gauge, but I've been asked if I would do one in British O gauge 1:43.5, to fit a Heljan A3/A4 chassis, so I thought I should check with the wider O/7mm community to see if there is any interest in a limited production run of a signature premium kit and/or and RTR one.

If a slightly different scale would be more popular, or equally popular, I don't think my original client would mind, so please let me know what you would be most interested in.

For example, the C-Scot did a tour of the US, so a US O scale (1:48) variant might make sense as another product.   If there's enough demand to cover the costs, I can make almost anything.

Ross.

Edited by RBTKraisee

Can't see it being very popular.

The valvegear and wheels are wrong, as are both bogies.

The tender would need to be bespoke, changing from eight, to six wheels.

Given the level of criticism of rtr models that are far closer, I'd say it would be a non-starter.

Just my two penn' orth.

What if it were a custom chassis?   What would the interest level be like?

I'm just getting back into PE manufacturing after a 15 year hiatus, but I've no doubt I could make a suitable custom chassis and valve gear.

The only issue on that front is that I'm based in Florida, so popping over to the NRM to take measurements of Duchess of Hamilton isn't so easy right now.   My next trip to Blighty isn't likely to happen before August.   It would be very helpful if I could find a source for accurate drawings.

Ross.

• RBTKraisee changed the title to Gauging interest: Coronation Scot Kit
  • 4 weeks later...