power problem on my main line keep tripping now.

rafregt1

My layout has been working well for a while, but now  part of the layout keeps tripping out on the main line over the top of the freightliner depot. as soon as I connect the main line it trips out I have not changed anything I have cleaned the whole layout but has not solved the problem. as you can see by the photos  were it says main line that is were the problem starts the station area is ok  also the freightliner depot. just the main line that the 60 is on can anyone help me to solve this many thanks

2022_021620058.JPG

2022_021620063.JPG

2022_021620064.JPG

2022_021620067.JPG

2022_021620066.JPG

Can you also explain the paper you have placed over some turnouts?

if L equals Live then you have a problem as you have live on both sides and that means that the track is wired incorrectly.

if it doesn’t mean that then I am lost as to the meaning.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

Can you also explain the paper you have placed over some turnouts?

if L equals Live then you have a problem as you have live on both sides and that means that the track is wired incorrectly.

if it doesn’t mean that then I am lost as to the meaning.

If you look closely the paper is placed over points - and I'm guessing the OP is using Electrofrog points where L = Live and IS = Isolated

• Thanks 1

OK, the description of the problem isnt very clear, but it was working before and a short has somehow developed at some point.

Can I ask, how is the layout powered? I can see droppers attached to rail joints/fishplates, it looks as though these are going under the baseboards. Without seeing how those droppers connect to the power source I am wondering if there is any chance that two droppers are making contact with each other somewhere? Nothing lying across the track anywhere? And just in case, its with any loco not just the class 60?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Graham108 said:

If you look closely the paper is placed over points - and I'm guessing the OP is using Electrofrog points where L = Live and IS = Isolated

I'm afraid then that the pictures, pretty as they are, tell me nothing and neither does the question :(

WE need to find out what was changed. If things are working, they generally keep working - they may fail and stop working - but then trains won't run at all. To get a short something must have been changed.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Have you been doing any work in that area? I recently found myself in the same situation and it turned out that while doing some soldering nearby a blob had apparently dropped off my iron and landed between the rails of a different piece of track. It spread enough on impact to bridge the two rails resulting in a short. I model in N and I'd struggle to imagine a blob of solder doing that in a larger scale but it makes an important point. The side-effects of work in one area can spread to other areas.

Edited by AndrueC
  • Agree 1

I sometimes had this problem - and found it was one point with s Seep motor - although the point had switched the polarity part underneath had not quite moved over to change polarity of the frog - so kept shorting out. (Since I been replacing all Seeps for Cobalt IP Motors and no further problems)