Bottled water to Cornwall 1999

The Fatadder

• RMweb Gold

After finding a photo showing the end of an ex works FAA container between Plymouth and Exeter in July 1999 I have been trying to find out more.  It has been pointed out that it was likely associated with the workings shipping vast amounts of bottled water to Cornwall in advance of the 1999 eclipse using a mix of vans and containers.

So far I have only found the one image of a bunch of very tatty VAA at St Blazey after the eclipse returning the leftovers.

However other than this one corner of a FAA I haven’t found any more about the container workings to Cornwall, the only way I can justify this sort of wagon in my modelling area / period.  I’m hoping that other members may have some recollection (or better yet photos) of these services 

You can certainly justify FAAs in Cornwall at that time! I found a number of FAAs at St Blazey and Truro during 9/99. At St Blazey was at least two with a rake of VGAs. At Truro was a longer train of very clean wagons (including 609012/9/59/62) loaded with 40ft blue 'Spacewise' and red 'TransAmerica Leasing' containers. They were unloaded there using a Containerlift transfer trailer and moved across onto lorries.

Hywel

• Thanks 1