Straightening Plastic Kit sides - how?

Hi Folks,

I am part way through building a DC Kits Class 303 and 1 of the side sections bears a resemblance to a banana :blink:

Vertically the section is straight but left to right it bows outwards at both ends.

Can anyone suggest how to straighten the part out? (I did have a search and didn't find anything)

Thanks

Andy B)

Sounds like a dunk in (very) hot water might rectify things. Just make sure you've tied the part to a suitable straight-edge or other former first.

Otherwise, ask Charlie Petty if he might be able to provide you with a replacement (non-deformed) spare.

From extensive experience with plastic models of various forms. I've found only two real options:

1. Try softening the part in hot water and letting it cool in the correct shape. With some plastics heat (in hot water)/shape/quench (in cold water) works.

2. Clamp it in position and allow the bonding to other bits of the structure to maintain its shape. This usually works if the part can be sensibly bonded on three (or ideally four) sides to something that forms a box structure - roof + 2 ends or similar)

Adrian

Thanks Folks,

I tried clamping it to a steel rule and immersing it in very hot water and that has taken some of the bend out. I'll try gluing and clamping it to the coach and see if that solves the rest of the bend - I think it probably will.

This is my 3rd 303 build and this is the first bowed piece I've had thankfully :D

Cheers

Andy B)

Archived