Great Central London Extension station colour scheme early 1950s

Helmdon

Hi all, 

just drifting my layout plan a couple of years to before the BR (LM) takeover. I know that BR(LM) did a very rapid paint job on building when they took over the GCLE but what were they painting from? I know Bachmann reckon their brown/cream colour scheme is right until 1947, and BR(LM) did their vandalism from 58 - but what colours are right for the years in between those two? Or didn't BR(E) repaint as quick as BR(LM) did? I'm loosely based on an amalgam of Helmdon and Culworth stations, both of which were a bit shy of colour photography in the period I'm interested in!

Edited by Helmdon

The brown/cream LNER colour scheme was superseded in 1937 by a brighter green/cream one. It is possible that "your" station never got repainted into the green/cream but it probably would have done, and it is certainly possible, even probable, that that was still the scheme when the line became a LMR responsibility in 1958, albeit looking somewhat worse for wear.

See the station colours website for details, plus photos of the schemes resurrected on preserved stations.

• Like 1

I know this doesn't appear to help much being in b&w but it was taken in September 1954, most of the woodwork is in a darker colour so it could be brown, green or possibly something else....

492120172_RYGCRBOBBATHGATEFMNBILLGRACEPTRSEPT1954.jpg.6d90fe4156f511a7a8d5b70fb1c915fc.jpg

Incidentally, I found out last week that a mate at work bought the large four piece BR maroon enamel sign from Rugby Central at auction last year, the jammy blighter!

812211069_RYCENTRAL628KM.jpg.0acfd882f71cffd6450ee5ea796e3b19.jpg

• Like 1