Ruby decoders in Bachmann DMUs

russ p

• RMweb Gold

I have several Bachmann DMUs fitted with gaugemaster running decoders,  they seem to be all or nothing and as soon as the throttle is opened they are off like a scalded cat

Any ideas please? 

Check CV29 it maybe set for DC I can’t remember the setting but if it’s set for DC you can often get the scolded cat effect. I have changed all the Gaugemaster chips for Zimo as they give better running.

Regards Mike 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, mikeg said:

Check CV29 it maybe set for DC I can’t remember the setting but if it’s set for DC you can often get the scolded cat effect. I have changed all the Gaugemaster chips for Zimo as they give better running.

Regards Mike 

I will check those later cheers

I didn't realise the gaugemaster chips weren't that good. They are the best ones my local shop sells

46 minutes ago, russ p said:

I will check those later cheers

I didn't realise the gaugemaster chips weren't that good. They are the best ones my local shop sells

Gaugemaster buy their decoders from various places, and put Gaugemaster badges and a mark-up on the prices.  Recently its been a mixture of Digitrax (the Ruby ones) and "somewhere in China" decoders.   

If your local model shop stocks Bachmann, then you've access to a few Zimo-rebadged decoders which Bachmann sell  (check the packaging, the Zimo ones are clearly marked as "made by Zimo", if no such mark, then assume it is a cheaper/older/not-as-good option).   Or ask your model shop to stock stuff you will buy.   Or, there is mail order.  

• Informative/Useful 2

I bought a 21 pin Ruby for testing new locos. I have had a GM decoder before & felt performance was mediocre.

The 21 pin was popped in a Heljan 86 but the rear lights did not work. It turns out the decoder only had 2 functions, so I guess these would have been front lights in each direction?

A 2 function decoder was under-featured in 2012, so it is well below par for 2022. It won't be staying in the loco for very long!

• Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I bought a 21 pin Ruby for testing new locos. I have had a GM decoder before & felt performance was mediocre.

The 21 pin was popped in a Heljan 86 but the rear lights did not work. It turns out the decoder only had 2 functions, so I guess these would have been front lights in each direction?

A 2 function decoder was under-featured in 2012, so it is well below par for 2022. It won't be staying in the loco for very long!

Dunno, but if the documentation said "2 function" then that's two lighting outputs, which will be headlights at each end. 

21pin is further complicated by the two different versions of the 21pin standard, resulting in different internal wiring of locos for the higher number function outputs.   One needs to know whether the loco is wired to "Marklin arrangements" or "the other arrangement", and then get a decoder to suit.  

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/02/2022 at 19:01, mikeg said:

Regards Mike 

Hi Mike

I got a reading off cv29 it's 38.

Looked on gaugemaster and digitrax website but no instructions on how to disable analogue running mode 

1 hour ago, russ p said:

Hi Mike

I got a reading off cv29 it's 38.

Looked on gaugemaster and digitrax website but no instructions on how to disable analogue running mode 

CV29 is part of the standard, so the way it works is the same in any decoder.   

38= 28/128 steps, DC running, long address.  

I wrote this page more than a decade ago.  Explains how CV29 works, and a calculator to understand the values.   I sometimes wonder if I had charged 1p per use whether I could afford a live steam garden railway by now :-)

http://www.2mm.org.uk/articles/cv29 calculator.htm

Edited by Nigelcliffe
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Nigelcliffe said:

CV29 is part of the standard, so the way it works is the same in any decoder.   

38= 28/128 steps, DC running, long address.  

I wrote this page more than a decade ago.  Explains how CV29 works, and a calculator to understand the values.   I sometimes wonder if I had charged 1p per use whether I could afford a live steam garden railway by now :-)

http://www.2mm.org.uk/articles/cv29 calculator.htm

I did try and set CV29 to 6 and it wouldn't  move. Any idea  what value I should try ?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, WIMorrison said:

By making CV29=6 you have stopped using the long address that was used before, ergo you now need to use the address shown in CV1 to control the loco.

I put it back to 38 . I'm a bit out of my comfort zone with this. May try the acceleration CV