Prototype station plans and diagrams

Try the Local Studies Libraries or County Record Office. One or both usually hold copies of Ordnance Survey maps of various dates at 25in to the mile. Some of the more important towns were done at 125in to the mile. These will show track the layout at the respective date and the LSL or CRO should hold copies of most or all of the published versions. A word of caution to the effect that you should double check with other sources e.g. signalling diagrams as it it not unknown for the OS maps to miss out some details like the occasional crossover.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

If you want current stuff then you need to go to the ordnance survey. They can supply large scale vectors at a reasonable cost and you can define the area you need.

Otherwise, id just use Google earth. Take a screenshot, scale it in a cad package and draw my own.

Ian C

• Thanks 1

The answer to the actual question is: Yes, in many cases they can supply historical drawings via their outlet for such material, which I think brands itself as Thd Storehouse, and if you write nicely to their publicity bods they will supply some current material too.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Please may I add the wonderful photographic archive at Swindon:

https://historicengland.org.uk/images-books/photos/archive-services/visiting/

It looks as if it is still under Covid restrictions, but I can not recommend its holdings of old oblique photographs highly enough.  I spent too much money on a batch of photographs several years ago, and still have the Aerofilms archive to peruse one day as well.  Their free search (you provide the O.S. grid ref. to centre the square mile of interest) took about 3 weeks.  Worth a short stay in Swindon to visit.  An excellent complement to O.S. maps.

Edited by C126
for "shirt" read 'short'. Now corrected.
  • Thanks 1