Dcc decoder fried?

Claudius17

Hi All

I’m a newbie to railway modelling having just taken it up in retirement. I am building a 4x2 n gauge layout with dcc and I’m really enjoying it.  I have recently bought a Digitrax Zephyr Express to replace the Bachman E-Z controller I started off with and it is a huge improvement. I am, however, having a problem with my Sonic 56xx  loco fitted with a Bachman 36-556RA chip.

For no apparent reason the loco does not read the CV information on the decoder. It behaves exactly very much like a dc loco I.e. 0-max in a blink similarly to a stop. The chip is storing the codes that I insert when programming but these have no effect on the loco. Also the loco will not run backwards. As soon as this is selected on the controller I get a track short warning which clears when the throttle is cancelled. I have re programmed my other locos and all works very well. I have checked the chassis for shorts with a multimeter but I haven’t come across any, all wiring looks sound. Could it be the decoder?

Hi John p yes but it has also worked with the new controller too. To be honest it has never really run smoothly since I bought it, despite running it in for ages in both directions. It ran far smoother with the Digitrax controller until it started playing up yesterday.

Hi,

In that case I would try a different decoder. My preference is for Zimo, so the MX617N or MX616N. The 617 is £20, the 616 is a lot smaller but is £32. The problem is that you might need to bend the pins as neither is a right angle connector (6 pin decoders with right angle connectors are not common).

There's a thread on the N Gauge forum about fitting decoders to these models.

Regards,

John P

Hi John P

New decoder fitted and all is well. I fitted the same decoder (Bachmann 36-566RA) just to confirm our suspicions. I will probably change to a Zimo 616N in the future as the Bachmann doesn't appear to be as smooth running as my other decoders.

All the Best

Claudius17