7mm Curved Turnouts

Hi all,

has anybody purchsed one of the new PECO 7mm curved turnouts yet? If anyone has could they please provide the dimensions of one as I'm toying with the idea of buying one instead of building my own, more for ease than anything else,

best regards,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Sorry to sound a bit vague but they had some at the exhibition on Sunday and they are very long say 20 inches plus, I didn't pay much notice as I build my own although I do have a couple of peco turnouts on my test track so I know where your coming from so to speak.

Regards, Martyn.

Thanks Martyn. All I need now is to find out the radii of the two lines. From what I can gather they are about 10' and 6' but I'm not sure from the online drawing I've seen.

The Railway Modeller review(Nov 2009)states;122"outside radius,68"inside radius and overall length at 20.31".

Tim

one wonders why the inside radius is only 5'8" when the 'recognised' minimum radius, and that of their other pointwork, is 6'

I'm not sure Mike. I was under the impression that it was 6'8" as other members have alluded to on here. I did want to build my own but I just can't make a decent fist of one on Templot :angry:. Add that to the fact that they are for sale on flea bay at ??35 and it looks like PECO have a winner, unless Brian at C+L can do it for cheaper as a kit? I know! I'll go and ask him B)

regards,

Mark

Hi Mark,

as Tim states above from Railway Modeller the inside radius is 68" - just checked the Peco catalogue for the original points and they state inside radius as 1828mm - nominal 6' - this will make life a tad difficult if you have one of each back to back!unsure.gif

Might go over to Marcway on my proposed DCC layout - at least they will all match.

regards

Mike

Hi Mike,

I've finally been able to get a template done courtesy of Martin Wynne and the Templot forum. Now I just need to conveniently leave a list, of parts needed, lying strategically in the house in the hope that the t'other half finds it and sends it on to Santa :P

best regards.

Mark

Hi Mark,

as Tim states above from Railway Modeller the inside radius is 68" - just checked the Peco catalogue for the original points and they state inside radius as 1828mm - nominal 6' - this will make life a tad difficult if you have one of each back to back!unsure.gif

Might go over to Marcway on my proposed DCC layout - at least they will all match.

regards

Mike

Hi Mike

Be aware that the Marcway turnouts are also only quoted in nominal terms. I ended up rebuilding all of mine for the fiddle yard as there were sections that were noticeably under the stated radius.

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard,

many thanks for the warning. It's early days yet as the 'proposed' layout is no more than a CAD exercise at the moment, might take your advice from a few months back and tread the slippery slope of building my own - if it reaches that point (no pun intend) laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

regards

Mike

Hi Richard,

many thanks for the warning. It's early days yet as the 'proposed' layout is no more than a CAD exercise at the moment, might take your advice from a few months back and tread the slippery slope of building my own - if it reaches that point (no pun intend) laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

regards

Mike

Hi Mike,

I have been building my own turnouts for many years now both in EM and then 7mm, firstly in copperclad then using C&L . And I can honestly say I enjoy track building as much as I do building loco's and rolling stock, and after seeing your build of the Q1. I can assure you, you will have no problems building your own turnouts and they look a lot more lifelike IMO.

All the best, Martyn.

Hi Mark & Martyn,

thanks for the encouragements, as I replied to Richard, it's early days yet and other things are bubbling away in amongst the little grey cells at the moment so I'll 'think on' and nowing me, will probably come up with something entirely different in the near future, we'll see.huh.gif huh.gif huh.gif

regards

Mike

Archived