Dublo Coach sides - Romford Motor Bogie - 4-4-2

SR71

• RMweb Premium

Almost a year on and I'm doing some more coaches. Just put first of three together;

IMG_20230604_160236129_HDR2.jpg.1d77eed375b57b9602e56dbc659f8da1.jpg

Same design as before but now in an earlier livery.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've not tried a Gresley re-design side yet. The ends and roof are so distinctive it's hard to know what else to do with them. The sides and chassis are the same as the regular suburban though so I have used a few for parts. I'm always on the look out for donors though 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Trying to do some modelling other than tinplate at the moment but I do have some ideas. One particularly daft one involves this...

Compress_20230624_211216_6575.jpg.851a045078430e62a89edd53dfa46a6c.jpg

On first inspection it seems sound just needing a clean and potentially a new brush holder.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SR71 said:

Trying to do some modelling other than tinplate at the moment but I do have some ideas. One particularly daft one involves this...

On first inspection it seems sound just needing a clean and potentially a new brush holder.

Romford?.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

IMG_20230707_155238000_HDR2.jpg.cfbfc9572243ddf230cbd571a588bc43.jpg

Well I couldn't leave it alone...

Applying power showed a willingness to run so I took it apart for cleaning. All looks good to go back together except the axles into the casting result in rolling resistance equivalent to glue!

Got some Albion alloys 3mm x 0.45 brass to make some bearing inserts but it's too loose really. The axles surprisingly seem to be 2mm and that 0.1mm will give too much vertical slop. I'm debating a trip to squires who have a bigger range of sizes or whether to make a brass plate for the axles to run in on edge.

I did find some Gibson 1/8" to 2mm adaptors but they too seemed loose. Could they be 5/64" axles? Seems improbable. If I could find my calipers all would be clarified!

• Like 1

• SR71 changed the title to Dublo Coach sides - Romford Motor Bogie
On 24/06/2023 at 21:16, SR71 said:

One of these came to me in a job lot around 30 years ago - I sold it on as I had no use for it but now wish I hadn't as it ran really nicely and I currently have a DC Kits Class 205 2H kit which needs a power unit! Oh well, I've never owned a crystal ball.......🥴!

• Friendly/supportive 1

I have a feeling early Romford axles were something SWG? (15 - 1.829mm).

I think I have one of these in the UK, but since I'm in Sardinia at the moment its rather far away.

• RMweb Premium

That would seem about right @Il Grifone.

Mrs SR71 changed plans yesterday which meant I was free to go to Squires in Bognor. Daft to go for just some tube but it wasn't great weather and the car at least has air conditioning and a roof.

While the Albion tube I had was too loose I was able to get K&S tube with slightly different dimensions that is almost exactly right.

IMG_20230709_1155460412.jpg.b61e8638c55aa7f90859bfc93362fe11.jpg

Several hours carefully opening out the holes this morning has resulted in one half being done.

IMG_20230709_1153281832.jpg.825ce7a683cf4e5efa3695469a420800.jpg

The only issue is that a combination of a new drill bit, misjudging the hardness of the material, and the original axle hole not lining up with the axle box means I punched through the first one. The damage isn't too great and I should be able to cover it with milliput.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Other side done. No photo as one side looks much like the other. Test fitted it together with motor shaft and it all seems to have worked even without oiling yet. I'll try and put it together in the evenings this week between fighting triffids in the garden.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

And back together! Runs on test leads will have to wait until a club night to check and run it in.

IMG_20230727_142520425_HDR2.jpg.c98773737878ec5358d3045cb0c908d4.jpg

Lots of cleaning and new wires plus above addition of bearings.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • SR71 changed the title to Dublo Coach sides - Romford Motor Bogie - 4-4-2
  • RMweb Premium

Well success with the bogie on its test run. No developments worth a picture. I will aim to build it up through the beginning of the year. But for now I'm distracted;

Compress_20240108_145203_3681.jpg.71f2c96d578561263f21604492bfbc15.jpg

Plenty done on this already and heading for test assembly.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

I would... But I haven't done it yet! The photo is still a collection of unrelated parts but I have a plan of sorts to connect them.

• RMweb Premium

Probably but one uses what one has to hand. Also my interest is what Hornby might have made rather than to make a model of a particular prototype. I try to use all Hornby bits as much as I can and dug up from a field N2's are still very plentiful fortunately. Giving them a new life appeals to me.

• Like 2

On 08/01/2024 at 15:00, SR71 said:

Well success with the bogie on its test run. No developments worth a picture. I will aim to build it up through the beginning of the year. But for now I'm distracted;

Compress_20240108_145203_3681.jpg.71f2c96d578561263f21604492bfbc15.jpg

Plenty done on this already and heading for test assembly.

This I like! Presumably clockwork or are the two rods just loosely placed to wedge the mechanism in?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Close. It will - hopefully - be electric but when putting it together I felt it needed some flailing clockwork control arms. The ol... contemporary guys at the club spend their efforts electrifying their O gauge models to get rid of them. I like seeing a bit of clockwork, although in this case aesthetic only.

Edited by SR71
  • Like 2

Oh- ok- yes - quite understand. Definitely food for thought though. I was wondering how feasible it would be to alter a Dublo clockwork mechs from six to four coupled. I see Tri-ang clockwork saddle tanks on ebay and at exhibitions from time to time, often at very low cost and, like the Dublo ones, the Tri-ang ones look like they are of decent quality. I have various half-baked notions for carving them about. 

I did wonder if every second spoke could be removed, some longer axles fitted and the Tri-ang saddle tank could be a good starting point for an o gauge industrial. Hmmmm...

• Like 2

I've got a Triang 0-6-0 clockwork mechanism if you want it - ping me. I tried rewheeling it with Jinty wheels to run on code 100 rail and failed on the first axle as the quartering isnt quite right so that needs redoing but it worked prior to that

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Captain Slough said:

I've got a Triang 0-6-0 clockwork mechanism if you want it - ping me. I tried rewheeling it with Jinty wheels to run on code 100 rail and failed on the first axle as the quartering isnt quite right so that needs redoing but it worked prior to that

Thanks Captain Slough! I'll DM you a little later today.

• Like 1