Freemo South 2022

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

Freemo South was a great success again this weekend. Organised by Dan, Tom & Geoff a large bunch of us American modellers got together in Epsom again to run trains. 

Freemo South 2022

The car was filled to capacity with modules, stock and essentials filling every last inch. 

Those were secured so they couldn’t slide forward ;) 

Freemo South 2022

This was the plan

Freemo South 2022

and this was the view from the bottom right corner of that. 

Freemo South 2022

and top left corner. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Modules as usual had a variety of themes and states of finish but they all worked well and were fed off a power ‘grid’ supplied by Neil Rogers of the RS Tower group. 

Freemo South 2022

Freemo South 2022

Freemo South 2022

Freemo South 2022

Freemo South 2022

Freemo South 2022

we had three branches from the main yard and there were three branch trains, a port switched turn, busy yard crews and a number of passenger and through block freights running too. The Dispatcher’s desk tried to coordinate it to keep trains moving ;) 

This was the schematic the Dispatcher worked with. 

Freemo South 2022

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Freemo South 2022

It’s a very relaxed social event too :)

Freemo South 2022

The heart of the layout, Dale Yard and both yard crews were working hard. 

Freemo South 2022

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Freemo South 2022

A big thanks to catering supremo Yvonne too and Alan for coordinating the car card system that drove the operation of the layout. 

Freemo South 2022

it’s tiring running model trains too you know ;) 

Freemo South 2022

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Looks like a great layout was setup, and shows the advantages of the freemo philosophy for those who don't have space for a full-time layout or want something in addition to.

Not relevant for this part of RMweb but really just a shame Andy Y's attempts to get a British version going didn't succeed - though at least he made the effort.

Looks mighty impressive! It must have taken a lot of coordination to get all those boards set up and running properly and sequentially.

Which DCC system are you all using please? (I can't really tell from examining the pictures closely.) I need to replace my old Lenz Compact with something that handles Bachmann steam loco sounds.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Talbotjohn said:

Looks mighty impressive! It must have taken a lot of coordination to get all those boards set up and running properly and sequentially.

Which DCC system are you all using please? (I can't really tell from examining the pictures closely.) I need to replace my old Lenz Compact with something that handles Bachmann steam loco sounds.

The modules are all submitted before the weekend and Tom & Geoff drew up the plan to fit the room so all dimensions are known. 

Then on the weekend everyone assembled their module in the appropriate area and a three person build crew are responsible for checking the height, aligning the track and clamping them up. Then the electrical man connects each board in turn and tests as he goes. It took just under four hours to set up at a leisurely pace as we hadn’t seen each other for two and a bit years and then we operated for six hours on Saturday and seven hours on Sunday. 

It was a digikeijs, dr5000 I think, with four 3amp boosters. We had a backup Digitrax system too. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1