Fort William to Mallaig 1980s Steam traction

SHerr

• RMweb Premium

I’ve managed to acquire some West Highland Green and Cream Mk1s and was looking for some advice on most suitable  OO gauge traction options for circa 85/6. As a D&E modeller I’m a bit unclear on the subtleties here as I don’t really do ‘kettles’.

A K1 repaint into Green for 2005 is probably out of  of my ability range (hint to the special editions guys, I’m sure it would sell) so realistically looking at Black 5’s (Hornby Super Detailed). 44767 George Stephenson was definitely a regular but seems to have different running gear so presumably that’s out? Or is it?

What are the other best options for ideally a renumber rather than full relining exercise? 

Any help, advice appreciated and particularly photos which don’t seem to be as plentiful as I had expected - certainly if you ignor 44767.

44767 (4767), was completed on 31st December 1947 at Crewe Works. It was unique amongst the 842 Black Fives in that it featured outside Stephenson link motion and also had a double chimney, Timken roller bearings and electric lighting.

2 hours ago, SHerr said:

I’ve managed to acquire some West Highland Green and Cream Mk1s and was looking for some advice on most suitable  OO gauge traction options for circa 85/6. As a D&E modeller I’m a bit unclear on the subtleties here as I don’t really do ‘kettles’.

A K1 repaint into Green for 2005 is probably out of  of my ability range (hint to the special editions guys, I’m sure it would sell) so realistically looking at Black 5’s (Hornby Super Detailed). 44767 George Stephenson was definitely a regular but seems to have different running gear so presumably that’s out? Or is it?

What are the other best options for ideally a renumber rather than full relining exercise? 

Any help, advice appreciated and particularly photos which don’t seem to be as plentiful as I had expected - certainly if you ignor 44767.

5407 and 5305 in lined LMS black.

44871 in BR lined black (late crest).

44932 in BR lined black but with "British Railways" lettering Gill Sans on the tender.

You should be able to renumber suitable Hornby versions assuming the boiler/dome/topfeed details on the base model are correct.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the replies. As I say, not a steam person so maybe a stupid question. Photos of 5305 and 5407 seem to have a dome and something in front of them (top feed?) but all the Hornby LMS liveried Black 5’s only seem to have a dome.

Is this because the feed was a post LMS addition and therefore an ‘old livery’ on a later modified loco? Or just that I can’t find a suitable LMS Hornby model?

For some reason I seem to be favouring an LMS liveried loco but may have to revisit my thoughts if the right body is not available.

On 12/04/2022 at 17:22, SHerr said:

Thanks for the replies. As I say, not a steam person so maybe a stupid question. Photos of 5305 and 5407 seem to have a dome and something in front of them (top feed?) but all the Hornby LMS liveried Black 5’s only seem to have a dome.

Is this because the feed was a post LMS addition and therefore an ‘old livery’ on a later modified loco? Or just that I can’t find a suitable LMS Hornby model?

For some reason I seem to be favouring an LMS liveried loco but may have to revisit my thoughts if the right body is not available.

In no way am I an expert on Black Fives but I don’t think what you are referring to as a “feed” was a post LMS addition.  

As andytrains indicated, 44767 was unique.  I think it’s naming is also a post preservation thing? The valve gear in particular being different from the normal type, as modelled by Hornby.  Therefore probably not easily created from a Hornby “base” model.  I do though seem to recall it’s a variation that Hornby have said they will cover with their new Black Five model.

I wonder if anywhere there is a catalogue or tabulation of all the Black Five models Hornby have done to date?  I understand they tooled up various options for boiler layout/fittings and also tenders, welded or riveted, but have no idea where you can source what variations they have produced.

Perhaps you would need to post on the Hornby sub-forum to find more detailed information or more informed responses to this, as there would be a greater likelihood of your query being seen by more people on there than in this sub-forum.  

Hope this helps!

• Thanks 1