Help Needed to Identify Grounded Wagon Body Please

rd84

I built a 2mm scale version for Chiltern Green as a grounded body. It replaced a W&K LNER plywood van which I was then able to turn into a 'working' van, actually in the Engineer's fleet for the 1978 period I was modelling. Given the layout was usually run in LMS period a late 1940s van as a grounded body seemed inappropriate.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, bécasse said:

It is a Midland RaIlway 10 ton covered goods van. Slaters do a kit for it in both 4mm and 7mm scales, and even as just a grounded body but only in 7mm.

It might be an 8 ton van, D362, rather than a 10 ton van, D363, or even a fitted van D360 - but the bodywork was the same! Where, and what date, is the photo?

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

I think the eight-tonners were smaller so had only one diagonal to the left of the door ......... the appropriate book is hiding from me so I can't be certain there weren't exceptions.

There were a large number of D357 8 ton vans that were 14' 11" over headstocks that were framed as you describe, mostly built 1903-5, concurrently with the 16' 6" long vans as seen in the photo. The volumetric capacity was smaller but the weight capacity was the same since they shared the same journal size; the D363 10 ton vans differed from the D362 8 ton vans only in that they had proportionately larger journals. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/04/2022 at 12:38, Compound2632 said:

It might be an 8 ton van, D362, rather than a 10 ton van, D363, or even a fitted van D360 - but the bodywork was the same! Where, and what date, is the photo?

Hi - the photo was taken around 1963/64 at Loughborough Derby Road Station which was on the Charnwood Forest Railway.

My apologies for the delay in replying.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1