Erie's 28th Street Terminal

Gene

Just picked-up the July 2010 issue of the US magazine Railroad Model Craftsman and was pleasantly surprised to find an article about the above-named Manhatten rail/river terminal and the model of it by Vincent Lee. The modelling is great, it looks to offer tons of switching interest and there are a few very nice prototype pics with it that I'm sure will be of interest to some members of RMweb...especially to a certain highland haggis hunter :lol: :lol:

Its certainly well worth buying the magazine if its available in your area.

Cheers

Gene

This part of UK sees MR monthly, about a month behind the cover date (so probably about 2 months after it hits the US newstands) - I may be able to get a copy in a month or so from SPV - I'll have to phone the nice lady and ask - is it all in a single issue, or is it one of those "to be continued " ones, Gene?

• RMweb Gold

RMC have changed their postage system and I've had my subscription July edition here in the UK. Only problem is it's come with no envelope or wrapping with an address label on the front cover. Got to agree about 28th street though!

Chris

RMC have changed their postage system and I've had my subscription July edition here in the UK. Only problem is it's come with no envelope or wrapping with an address label on the front cover. Got to agree about 28th street though!

Chris

Funnily enough, I was reading a very old copy of RMC (probably older than me), and there was a note from the editor saying they'd run a trial of posting them this way, but decided to drop it because the magazines were getting damaged....

What surprised me about the linked article on the 28th street yard (above), is the astonishing similarity to the Bay Street Connecting Railway on Page 9 of "Track Planning Ideas from Model Railroader",(Kalmbach) which I'd always believed to be an entirely fictitious idea, designed to put a switching layout, based purely on a schematic diagram, on an 8.5' x 14" shelf (That includes an 18" longcar float). In fact it is refered to as an"undisguised schematic" without ever mentioning that there was an actual prototype with virtualy the same trackplan, the article simply mentioned that such yards existed in many US cities

• 3 weeks later...

Popped into MG Sharpe yesterday on the offchance MRC was in, the shipment had arrived that morning. While I liked the layout I have a nagging feeling that it would have been better if the slight difference in angle between the city block and the waterfront/road bridge on the prototype hadn't been straightened out.

Thanks to a Youtube link, provided in a reply to another question by Prof Klyzlr, I came across this

(operating a model of 28th Street yard, not sure that it is the same one as in RMC)

and there are a couple of other links in the sidebar on the right

Thanks to a Youtube link, provided in a reply to another question by Prof Klyzlr, I came across this

(operating a model of 28th Street yard, not sure that it is the same one as in RMC)

and there are a couple of other links in the sidebar on the right

No, that is the 28th Street Erie facility on the Dave Ramos NY Harbor Railroad.

See his website - NY Harbor Railroad - it has the track plans, structure plans, and a very good and long construction journal of his basement sized layout. It's quite amazing what he and his friends have accomplished. He's in the middle of rebuilding a large section of the New York Central 30th Street Yard. He's modeling a large part of the West Side of Manhattan, including 2 carfloat connected yards - the Erie 28th Facility and the Lehigh Valley 27th Street Facility.

He's published many videos - some short - some long - well worth the time. Be prepared to spend some time at his website. :P

Gil, known as Bill somedays ... B)

Man, I just bookmarked that site for future entertainment!

Between Manhattan, the Bronx, Brooklyn and the Jersey side of the Hudson there's enough for any urban modeller - I'm glad to see more and more interested in this stuff.

Btw is the "High Line" Park now open? I briefly caught Mike the Mayor (I keep wanting to call him Mike Bloomfield, that's the guitarist in me...) on the local news talking about it. How does one get on it? Anyone know?

Best, Pete.

Trisonic..The highline is open...I took a short walk on it mid-April...its very cool and they did a great job on it.

Yes, the website looks groovy! It's only the lower section though as yet, right? The loop will be the last I think.......

Some of the three rail track is still down?

Best, Pete.

Archived